Center Armrest Snapped!

mykalhenry

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY Bridgeport, CT (right now)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
Hi everyone,

Just got ready to finish up my aftermarket head unit instal when I climbed into the passenger side with my elbow on the center armrest in order to position myself for the last pop in of the unit and snap! The center armrest snapped downward and it looks like it is not repairable. The inside of the broken armrest has some major pieces broken and some of the armrest is left attached to the center aisle. The thing that fastenes the armrest to the car is still left, well at least one of them, kind of like a metal fastner but not quite a screw, one of those is left. It looks pretty ####ed up and now have to fold a towel over the small part left in order to not scratch my arm when resting it there. Any suggestions??? Tough repair?

Mykal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can't really repair them, I've tried and it didn't work too well. You can usually find a replacement on ebay. You can get an older type lever armrest on ebay which are stronger, they don't have the cup holders on the back of them like the newer type like you have. The older types are either leather or fabric they didn't make them in rubber like the newer ones. At least to my knowledge they didn't. If you have a automatic trans. you could get a full length console with the armrest is the lid to the console and fully supported.

Which part actually breaks? I just removed my 93 Limited console, for my body clipping. The whole thing attaches to a large aluminum bracket, which is bolted to the floor.
I assume that the armrest area, above the hinge, is breaking. Regards,

if the 2nd gens are like the first, there is a metal pivot pin in a metal and mostly plastic body.... mine broke in an accident and a replacement cost about $65. I had to dremel cut the pin in the old one to get everything free and apart.

Easy solution. ;)

Mine is not broken but is cracked pretty bad, so to stop it, I put a tenis ball under it. It sit's on the door latch with arm rest on top of it. Works like a charm! :thumbsup: In fact last time I took it to Ford (been awile) The service adisor noticed it and said " WOW! That's so smart!"

images

Glacier I think that is what is going on, the plastic part is still attached to the console with one pin left. The other pin snapped off with the hinge that is attached to the armrest. That is why I am so freakin mad because that may cause me to need the whole armrest. I can see where the underside meets the black part that screws to the armrest but my real problems begin with that plastic hinge that is actually part of the armrest. That looks like the smallest part may make the repair kit unusable. Or is it???

Mykal

Well my Ex is a 1st Gen (92) and maybe it is different. In order to replace it I just know I had to cut the remaining pin. I don't have my explorer here at the moment, or I'd post some pics. It has been a while and my memory could use some refreshing.

Here's my budget armrest fix...

I just put some glue designed for plastic on the cracked pieces and fit the armrest back into whatever was still there. Luckily, one of the screw holes still worked so I put a screw in for some added support. Now to solve the problem of the incredibly cheaply made armrest, you have to support the front of the armrest. I took two 5 inch pieces of 2x4, screwed them together, then bought a cheap little 5 inch plastic bin that is supposed to hold your cellphone or garbage, put that on top of the two pieces of 2x4, and put a screw through the bottom of the box and into the 2x4's. Sat that whole contraption in the space below the unsupported end of the armrest and now it is solid as hell. Plus I Now have a little box to accumulate crap in.

If you want to, you can paint the wood to match your interior or something. I just used some duct tape called "Fire and Ice" and wrapped it around the 2x4's, it was a nice bluish color and the plastic box was a nice bluish color as well. It fit nicely with my grey interior.

Note to anyone reading this article that has not had their armrest break on them already...SUPPORT THE FRONT OF THE THING BEFORE YOURS BREAKS TOO! I was well aware of the cheapness of my armrest but it was my girlfriend that decided to scootch over from the drivers seat to the passenger seat without getting out of the car that did the armrest in. she sat right on it and snapped it. She laughed as did her friend in the back seat. I was definitely not laughing. As a matter of fact I still don't think it's funny.

What I do think is funny is the fact that you can't buy an armrest from these cars for anywhere under 60 bux. Hmm, maybe that is because 75% of them are broken? Supply and demand at its best.

Yes i also added a small piece of wood on the front of the armrest to support it, and it works very well. I didn't paint it to match since i had no gray spray paint and didn't feel like buying one just to paint that.

Back