• Register Today It's free!

Center console armrest

mkcrawford

Reaction score
City, State
Nevada, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
I have a '92 X and need just the arm rest from the center console. The interior is Tan or Mocca. I thought I saved mine from when it broke, but can't find it anywhere. I bought the replacement piece that attaches the arm rest itself from the local ford dealer ($47), but they wanted way too much for the just the armrest.

Can anyone help me out, please :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read this thread :

Dead Link Removed

maybe asp84 can help you out with a tan leather one

Dead Link Removed has most of what you need to know. Ford supplies complete instructions with the replacement pivot.

I put mine together in less than an hour, parts were under $60 Canajun. This piece is bulletproof. You'll destroy your console before you can hurt this puppy....

look on ebay. i've seen the armrest on there. otherwise, hit up the local salvage yard. you can even get a discount if you go after hours... haha just kidding

Thanks for the replies. I've the instructions on the Explorer Maintenance web page and printed them out. Great site by the way. I will continue to look on Ebay, but didn't find anything yesterday. I don't have leather interior so don't think the one posted by asp will work.
Keep the information coming

Thanks again :D :D

I just spent WAY too much money getting my replaced. They wanted 160 bucks for the arm rest and 66 bucks to bolt the damn thing on!! Of course, being the part-time moron that I am, I agreed to pay the 66 bucks when I could have done it myself in about 15 minutes. ARGH! I wish they made Diablo chips and K&N filters for the brain...........

I hear ya Zeroluxx. I bought the piece that actually broke (part that attaches to the armrest and the console) for $47 from the dealer. I read on the website listed in the previous posts about how to change it so I thought I would give it a try. I went to find the actual armrest itself from the piece that broke and I can't find it anywhere.:mad: I know I was saving it to get it repaired. So I went to find just the armrest part and the dealer wanted $275 :eek: for just the armrest.
So if anyone knows anyone who has an X with tan or mocca interior with a center arm rest to get rid of, let me know.

Why are people saying the new part is stronger than the original part? Does ford sell a better quality replacement part?!? When we were going to fix ours, my wife said that ford would only sell the whole thing and it was like $150 or $200. I'm glad to hear that you can just get the broken part 'cause I've taken the armrest pad out of the car before and dismantled it. It wasn't too hard. We were just gonna hunt the junkyards for the other style console from some 99's and 2000's and do a transplant, but if this piece is stronger I'd rather do that...

The replacement "bracket" is 100% solid steel and virtually indestructable. The original brackets were molded plastic. I'm not sure, but the newer model explorers probably have steel brackets.

All these prices are crazy!!! My bracket from the dealer was cheap and the process was simple...far easier than even changing spark plugs or the brake pads (not that those are difficult at all.) I can't imagine paying someone else to do it....

(MK, yeah you've got dibs on my armrest if my engine is totally thrashed...it's tan leather)

Randy

Yeah, like I said, I remember tearing the whole thing apart in no time, but I also remember my wife saying that the new parts were way too expensive, so I'll look further into this whole metal part thing now that I know it's cheap... Thanks...

Back