Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Dang that's what I was afraid of... Guessing moisture and dust getting into the light housing is bad. So I will plug those hole as soon as the weather warms :)
You could also try adding a 194 bulb. A 2008 to 2012 Chevy Malibu uses a round plug for the 194 in the rear bumper cover I haven't personally tried it but might fit there and as for issues with reflecting light that wouldn't be an issue bc of the location of the strobe hole. I was contemplating doing that myself but I opted for a set of factory chrome trimmed headlights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so after the above info, I took closer look at my headlights and found the people who had taken my PIU out of service had in fact taken out the front strobes (can not tell on the rear ones, as I am not sure what I am looking for), and left large gaping hole into light housing. So now I either need to plug that or put back in a light. Is there a less expensive plug and play lamp/socket that I could put in?? If I got one, could I just tie it into the turn signals as I don't really need strobes. Tied in to just emergency flashers would be neat, but not sure that is possible.
Have a look at this video. It shows what was likely in the 'hole' before they added the strobe.
Part #11 Composite Assembly - Ford (FB5Z-13008-M) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

That video is for the 2016+, in the earlier style like Eric has, there's only a drill guide to make a hole for a Whelen Vertex. They are like a typical HAW which are made to plug the hole you make for them, but leave nothing behind when you remove them.

That video is for the 2016+, in the earlier style like Eric has, there's only a drill guide to make a hole for a Whelen Vertex. They are like a typical HAW which are made to plug the hole you make for them, but leave nothing behind when you remove them.
Yes on my 2015, I have a hole more in the back corner of the clear light housing ??

Hope you can see this.
PIU Headlight.jpg

Yes, that's where the Vertex HAWs are placed in the 2013-15 ones. You could, of course, use a plastic plug, but the Ford parts look nicer. I've seen them on eBay frequently, there's a pair of Ford OEM listed now for $85 + $6 shipping, which is pretty typical.

Yes, that's where the Vertex HAWs are placed in the 2013-15 ones. You could, of course, use a plastic plug, but the Ford parts look nicer. I've seen them on eBay frequently, there's a pair of Ford OEM listed now for $85 + $6 shipping, which is pretty typical.
Ok so I find some Whelen "Hide-a-Blast" lights on EBay for $29.99 each. Are those the same and/or would they fit in the same opening?

That looks like the. I have the factory set out of mine I would have to look at them to be sure.

:dunno:Seems this thread went off the tracks along the way. The thread is about the center console.

Ok so I find some Whelen "Hide-a-Blast" lights on EBay for $29.99 each. Are those the same and/or would they fit in the same opening?

I think that seller would probably get more traffic if they listed them properly ("Hide-a-Blast" is a different manufacturer's trademark, IIRC), but those do appear to be Whelen Vertex HAWs. That's also a very good price, I picked-up a few myself just in case I need them in the future to plug some holes. I wish there were prices that good on the very nice LED turn signal/DRL/strobe modules. As other threads have noted, those sometimes fail, but they are nice to have. Feel free to share if you ever see some of those come up. :)

In my latest project, the owner actually put common turn signal 45-degree twist lock turn signal sockets in the strobe holes to plug them, which works, it's just a little uglier since there wasn't clearance for the bulb to be installed in the socket.

Yeah, we're way off-topic, but there are clearly plenty of issues at plugging holes, repairing upfitter/decommissioning-caused damage, and adding more civ-oriented accessories when these get retired to members of the public. Seems like a new thread for the general stuff might be in order, the console refitting kind of deserves its own thread with the 3D printing and such.

I think that seller would probably get more traffic if they listed them properly ("Hide-a-Blast" is a different manufacturer's trademark, IIRC), but those do appear to be Whelen Vertex HAWs. That's also a very good price, I picked-up a few myself just in case I need them in the future to plug some holes. I wish there were prices that good on the very nice LED turn signal/DRL/strobe modules. As other threads have noted, those sometimes fail, but they are nice to have. Feel free to share if you ever see some of those come up. :)

In my latest project, the owner actually put common turn signal 45-degree twist lock turn signal sockets in the strobe holes to plug them, which works, it's just a little uglier since there wasn't clearance for the bulb to be installed in the socket.

Yeah, we're way off-topic, but there are clearly plenty of issues at plugging holes, repairing upfitter/decommissioning-caused damage, and adding more civ-oriented accessories when these get retired to members of the public. Seems like a new thread for the general stuff might be in order, the console refitting kind of deserves its own thread with the 3D printing and such.
Very true, when these units are taken out of service, lots of things take place, and some of it not very good for it's next life. Holes everywhere, loose wiring, disconnected stuff. It has been treasure hunt experience behind many panels. I think the floor consoles are a big task for those who want a more conventional interior. I have purchased an OEM console and the adaptation of it to work in my PIU has been much more involved than I had hoped. Still looking to fill the shifter hole with cubby, but have changed out much of the wiring and added a number of aftermarket power ports and lighting.

I recently bought a 2015 PIU and I am currently looking for a stock center console to put in. Looking for some recommendations on where to buy one for a reasonable price, and also how hard it is to install?

I recently bought a 2015 PIU and I am currently looking for a stock center console to put in. Looking for some recommendations on where to buy one for a reasonable price, and also how hard it is to install?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There may be some useful info in this thread.

Peter

Looking for a center console for a 2015 PIU. Just wondering if anyone knows where to find a stock center console for one. Thanks

There aren't many around as the PIUs don't typically come with a center console. You can check junk yards, ebay, and the like as they come up from time to time. Your only other option for a factory console is from a retail explorer - easier to find, but you will have the console shift hole to fill.

I'm not a fan of the aftermarket consoles, but I have seen a few that are reasonably priced and look decent enough to use until one could source an OE console.

Looking for a center console for a 2015 PIU. Just wondering if anyone knows where to find a stock center console for one. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Good luck with your quest.

Peter

Specifics would be helpful so everyone is clear. Did you pick up an oe piu center console? An aftermarket center console? A le specific center console? A retail explorer center console?

I haven't seen any oe piu center consoles on eBay in a while, unless they were listed incorrectly/wrong category/misspelled title/etc...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back