Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Hi There,
where did you buy this consoles? I am looking one for my 2013 PIU
There used to be a fair number of sources for them in the US, but within the last year, some of the folks that buy and flip PIUs have been buying up consoles as fast as they hit the market so they can fit the console and make their used PIUs more attractive to buyers. Not sure on sources for Canada, but shipping from the states will probably be a bit cost prohibitive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So does anyone have the 3D print file for the gear selector hole? I would love to find it.

I had one done...it didn't turn out good so I made one out of metal....Looks identical to the printed one...
Do you have pictures of you making it?

Just got my center console installed, would like to see some pics of people who filled the shifter slot. Need some ideas

If you have the leather boot, push it down, and close it with zip tie from the bottom. Now you have a soft phone pocket.

20180702_124016-01.jpeg

I made mine the same as the printed one...but just out of sheet metal....pretty easy to do & looks identical to that one...

My solution for the time being. Until I can get a hold of the 16+ finisher panel of course.

5-17-18_3.jpg

For those wanting more info on OEM PIU center consoles and install.
These are the two current OEM PIU center consoles. (top 2016-18, bottom 2013-15)
VryVWmv.png

7UqlldA.png

These are the trim pieces you will need to complete the install.
XAaGavZ.png

This is the mounting area without the metal mounting plate. Front and rear mounts for center console should be on floor as they are used to secure the metal plate (if you have it). Front mount is bolted to floor - rear is part of floor. Center mount should be purchased and added. You can see the longer wire for the 12V powerpoint - I extended an existing one and wrapped it in electrical tape.
u2oOvdq.png

The center mount is a tight fit near RCM. I did not want to remove RCM or mess with the wiring, so I cut the center mount in half and installed it as 2 pieces. You can just see the cut I made.
l0vNDw1.png

Once you have everything ready, the center console just drops into place - line it up, plug in your wires (mine had aux, USB and 2 powerpoints), then put the bolts in and tighten. I sourced auto style trim bolts from a local Ace hardware. You can leave the seats in - just slide them forward or back to access each bolt - there are 8 bolts if you add the center floor mount - 6 for the floor and 2 into the dash area.
BT3mqdk.png

Attach the side trim panels and you're done - they are a little tight if you leave the seats in, but it can be done.
UJssQZK.png
Where did you purchase this console. Looking for my 2016

The places I purchased mine from don't have any more. You will need to search (salvage yards, internet, etc...). They used to be a bit easier to come by and priced somewhat reasonably until all the PIU resellers started buying them up to put in the used PIUs they were selling. Some have even been buying up a bunch of the retail consoles and prices on those seems to have gone up compared to a year or so ago. In general - I'm not saying there aren't occasional deals to be had if you search and are patient.

Ford should have put the PRNDL in the shifter assembly and used the same top console panel for retail and PIU - with PIU getting a storage bin in place of the shifter. Seems like that would have been more cost effective rather than creating more variations of parts.

I believe there is/was one listed on Craigslist - Detroit Metro.

The places I purchased mine from don't have any more. You will need to search (salvage yards, internet, etc...). They used to be a bit easier to come by and priced somewhat reasonably until all the PIU resellers started buying them up to put in the used PIUs they were selling. Some have even been buying up a bunch of the retail consoles and prices on those seems to have gone up compared to a year or so ago. In general - I'm not saying there aren't occasional deals to be had if you search and are patient.

Ford should have put the PRNDL in the shifter assembly and used the same top console panel for retail and PIU - with PIU getting a storage bin in place of the shifter. Seems like that would have been more cost effective rather than creating more variations of parts.

I believe there is/was one listed on Craigslist - Detroit Metro.

It is very hard to find one. I have been looking for a while, I see there a few aftermarket consoles but I like and would prefer the clean look of the stock console.

They are only somewhat hard to find for reasonable prices.

There is always the option to purchase the entire center console from Ford parts, or to buy a retail center console from any 2011-2018 model and then order just the top and back finish panels from Ford parts.

Update on my 2015 PIU with pictures. So a couple of these are not console related, but I posted earlier about some of the holes I needed to fill after my PIU was taken out of commission.
+ First picture shows a normal console converted to work with PIU.
+ 2nd photo shows where the rear seat heater controls have been converted to extra power ports and task lights.
+ 3rd photo shows how I filled the large hole in the overhead and added a pair of reading lights and a Homelink garage door opener.
+ 4th photo just shows how I converted the empty "Ready for the Road" rear lights into functioning turn/brake lights.

View attachment 160239

View attachment 160240

View attachment 160241

View attachment 160242

Any way you could post a step by step with how you added the extra power ports on the back of the console? I am interested in doing a 12v and a 110v. Thank you !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove any non-Ford/aftermarket stuff and if you don't have the OE front bracket, you can try without it and see if it works out or not. The brackets pop up on ebay from time to time or you can order from ford parts.

Back