Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

I found the following in the wiring diagram. It looks like a very simple wiring to the BCM if you knew where to route the wires. This also means that adding Terrain Management is likely something that has to be enable with Forscan to get it working, but that's just a guess.
Wiring Diagram for Terra: TerrainMgmtWiring.png
Im assuming the terrain control module is something were going to be missing i for one cant seem to locate it, any inputs on where it would be located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ripster, I'm doing my research too and I'll make sure to let you know if I find anything on Terrain Mgmt. I was looking at the service manual and parts diagrams today and it looks like for those without terrain management, there is a factory cup that you can buy to go in there, but I think it was $30, so 3d printing might be the better way to go if you have the resources to do so.

I'm also now trying to figure out what wires and cables have to move down to the console to get A) the Shifter working, B) get the USB and Aux port working.

Aux and USB will probably be easier, from parts it looks like I just need simple USB cable to go from the back/bottom of the radio to the plug in the console. AUX, I haven't figure out the cable and where it plugs in yet.

One good note, I did manage to get my 10-way leather passenger seat in and powered. Now to finish what the seller started on my drivers seat. Just needs some re-wiring to get the additional switches working.
I have the AUX and USB in mine, it was all there, i figured they all had that, is yours a 2016+?

Mine is a 14. I think some police units got them based on the service manual. But most of the retired units I’ve looked at don’t have them.

I haven’t found a terrain Managment module in the manual so I’m assuming it’s just wired to the computer to tell it to alter its behavior and traction settings. I’d love to have a wrecked retail unit or something to compare with. I just don’t know what parts, modules and wiring is different. I know it’s different but I’ve only had mine a week and been reading the forum for 2-3 weeks trying to catchup on all this intelligence shared here.

Hello,

I am seriously looking to buy a 2016 PIU, but can't until I know for sure how to install a new centre console, and whatever else is required to get the centre console HVAC vents working.
In your post, you describe that you did just that from your 2014 xlt.
Can you please post parts, instruction, anything that can help me out here?
I'm not a mechanic, but, if I can get my mechanic the parts and some instructions, he'll be able to do the rest.

Thank you kindly

Hello,

I am seriously looking to buy a 2016 PIU, but can't until I know for sure how to install a new centre console, and whatever else is required to get the centre console HVAC vents working.
In your post, you describe that you did just that from your 2014 xlt.
Can you please post parts, instruction, anything that can help me out here?
I'm not a mechanic, but, if I can get my mechanic the parts and some instructions, he'll be able to do the rest.

Thank you kindly
What "center console HVAC vents" are you concerned with?

What "center console HVAC vents" are you concerned with?
Hi,
Only if your front radio bezel shows rear HVAC. I did a comple conversion on mine I had a 2014 xlt flood car I bought for parts and used the leather interior and removed the rear HVAC unit from the quarter panel. Installed it all into mine. And wired it all in.. took quite a bit of research and time to get it figured out but now that Its done it wasn't really "too hard" just time consuming...

Hello,

I'm trying to understand what parts you had to move from your xlt to your piu so that I can also have a front center console with rear HVAC and controls.

Can you please provide any information how you accomplished it?

Thank you

The front one
There aren't any vents in the front center console on PIU or retail trims to get working.

Hopefully kikinz will post a complete step by step instruction manual for you and others.

The front one
Welcome to the Forum Ron.:wave:
As mentioned, there are no vents on that console. All front vents are on the dash.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Ron.:wave:
As mentioned, there are no vents on that console. All front vents are on the dash.

Peter

Maybe he is referring to the floor vent, which is part of the center console trim for retail.

Maybe he is referring to the floor vent, which is part of the center console trim for retail.
I really wasn't aware of that vent but then I've never really checked down there. Too late to do that now since mine was turned back into the dealer on Halloween.

Peter

I really wasn't aware of that vent but then I've never really checked down there. Too late to do that now since mine was turned back into the dealer on Halloween.

Peter

My bad: I meant the floor vents.
Basically, I need AC to reach the back seats, and right now, I don't know how to do it, be it headliner vents, or floor vents.
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Please, keep'em coming.

Both of mine have rear HVAC. Both have floor vents under the dash (for front occupants) and under the front seats (for rear occupants). There are no vents in the center console that I am aware of. You would have to check on whatever vehicle you are considering, but both fr and rr floor vents should be run by the front ac. I do not believe the rear HVAC pushes any air through those floor vents, just the rr roof vents and the rear cargo area vent.

I have not seen all the retail console variants, but I've looked at a few. I haven't seen one that has any vents in it or under it.

Both of mine have rear HVAC. Both have floor vents under the dash (for front occupants) and under the front seats (for rear occupants). There are no vents in the center console that I am aware of. You would have to check on whatever vehicle you are considering, but both fr and rr floor vents should be run by the front ac. I do not believe the rear HVAC pushes any air through those floor vents, just the rr roof vents and the rear cargo area vent.

I have not seen all the retail console variants, but I've looked at a few. I haven't seen one that has any vents in it or under it.

Ok: So if the HVAC vents underneath the front seats don't work on the PIU, is there another way for the rear occupants to get some air other than from the dash vents?
Thanks

Ok: So if the HVAC vents underneath the front seats don't work on the PIU, is there another way for the rear occupants to get some air other than from the dash vents?
Thanks

It would be a tons of headache but still doable. You should have two vent on the headliner above the 3rd row (or cargo). If your vehicle doesn't already comes with the rear AC (which I doubt if any PIU does, since it is cargo space), you will have to get a rear AC unit (which fit behind the left interior trim in the cargo area). Also you will have to wire it up properly to all the required module. The AC itself costs around 1k and the labor might be skyrocketed since it's a complicated installation (at least from my view). Formally, it's called Auxiliary Air Conditioning.

Here's an example what you might needed.
2011-2019 Ford AC & Heater Assembly DB5Z-19850-F | Livermore Ford Parts

A quicker walk around might be getting a small fan and install it onto the center console or the headrest (which is more common), and low cost.

edited: there might be more parts / modifitcaion needed but I didn't dig deep into it. if you interested I suggest do more research before making any decision.

Thanks
Not sure I follow. My floor vents under the dash and front seats work from the primary front HVAC system.

Did someone tell you they don't work or did you check out a PIU that had non-functioning floor vents?

I'm still confused about the vents in the front center console. If someone could confirm which retail trims had those and possibly post a pic, I'm interested in learning more about them.

Not sure I follow. My floor vents under the dash and front seats work from the primary front HVAC system.

Did someone tell you they don't work or did you check out a PIU that had non-functioning floor vents?

I'm still confused about the vents in the front center console. If someone could confirm which retail trims had those and possibly post a pic, I'm interested in learning more about them.

The floor vents under the driver and psg seat work just fine on my 2017 Explorer PIU, i cant see why anyone would disable that, as for hvac in center console, the floor vents are under and have no bearing on the center console, thoe hvac controls on the back of the center console, thats another whole issue, as pointed out in this form, almost no PIU have rear HVAC so getting those controls to work is another who issue

on another note, anyone have updates on terrain knob hook-up

Thank you, I think I'm good for now with the vents.

On another note: what kind of mileage and maintenance requirements can you expect from a 2017 piu? There's one that I'm considering buying but it has 142k miles/226k km. Not sure what repairs it would require right away. Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you, I think I'm good for now with the vents.

On another note: what kind of mileage and maintenance requirements can you expect from a 2017 piu? There's one that I'm considering buying but it has 142k miles/226k km. Not sure what repairs it would require right away. Any advice?
That is very high miles for a 2 yr old vehicle, must be all HWY, I do full synthetic oil change every 10,000 km, the computer will tell you when oil change is due, my advise is keep up with maintenance and ALWAYS use synthetic fluids, modern vehicles can go well over 500,000 km IF you keep up your maintenance, One of my work trucks, 2009 GMC Savana had well over 800,000 KM, engine was still un-opened, the tranny was rebuilt at 300km, thats about all that went wrong other then small odds and ends

Back