Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

does anyone have the part numbers on the brackets that are needed to bolt the center console on to the floor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm trying to get a setup similar to the one shown below. I need something to fill the shifter hole, as well as the terrain selector knob. Currently mine is a black hole into the guts of the console.
PIU-Console.jpg

The shifter 'hole' already looks like it has been addressed.

Peter

I'm trying to get a setup similar to the one shown below. I need something to fill the shifter hole, as well as the terrain selector knob. Currently mine is a black hole into the guts of the console.
PIU-Console.jpg

This picture appears to show a 3d printed 'shifter well' that some users have utilized to fill the void. it's the best option I've seen, but have never found any drawings to have it duplicated. Does your console have the leather trim for the shifter or just a hole there? If you have the leather, there is a bracket that the leather affixes to - you can plastic weld a flat black piece of plastic to the bracket and snap it back in to delete the shifter hole and it mounts up nice and flat to the 'chrome' trim.

If you don't have the leather/bracket, I don't have any recommendations for you :)

Ok so the console shown is mine.... I did not have 3-D printer or plans, so I sort of made my own. I used layers of plastic sheet sectioned together, but if I did it again I would have used wood, to get nice striping. Use the top as your guide then just cut out that shape in each layer, glue the stack together and add bottom. Not that hard and ends up functional.

Ok so the console shown is mine.... I did not have 3-D printer or plans, so I sort of made my own. I used layers of plastic sheet sectioned together, but if I did it again I would have used wood, to get nice striping. Use the top as your guide then just cut out that shape in each layer, glue the stack together and add bottom. Not that hard and ends up functional.

Really interesting idea Eric! How did you affix the stacked/shaped final product to the console? Did you use the clip in retainer?

There is or was a member here who used a 3D printer to make a similar item to that shown in the picture.

peter

Really interesting idea Eric! How did you affix the stacked/shaped final product to the console? Did you use the clip in retainer?
I just glued mine to bottom of panel.

Peter

BTW if anyone wants an OEM retail console from a 2015 that was removed at purchase, let me know. I will give mine away for shipping costs. I scavenged a few panels off it, but for the most part its just collecting dust in my garage.
just wondering if this was still available? contact me at finksbrian@yahoo.com

I guess I will add my request on the tail end of this thread. I am in need of a civilian console from an upgraded Explorer interior. My new '16 PIU came with some goofy lookin' console' that looks like a JC Whitney mail order special. I suspect the state motor pool stuffed this into the rig to fill up the gaping void and make it more sellable. Would have rather gotten it with no console at all since they had to hack the bottom of the dash bezel where the USB and AUX IN ports are in order to get it to fit flush on the floor. A new assembly from Ford would cost upwards of two grand if you bought all the pieces in the fordparts.com catalog. Thanks in advance for any leads. . ....will check ebay and the new boneyard in town that handles late model wrecks.

cheers ~ dave

Just putting in my piece, I have made and uploaded a shifter cup Here that works for fifth gen models. I also have a model for the bezel that will fit a round usb/aux input that you can normally buy again off amazon.

So I found this center console in a 2016 PIU somewhere in Tennessee. It is the near perfect solution for the conversion. No shifter opening and no gear selector labeling on the top plate. Unfortunately , the agency that owned the rig drilled a rather large hole in the top of the console plate left of the front cup opening and glued some round object into the assembly. No clue what it is [was] for, but needless to say, that mod trashed it. If you all know any way to find the Ford part # for that particular console top plate, we have an ideal, albeit pricy solution.
Perhaps it is supplied with the 65U option [Interior Upgrade] . But most parts catalogs show a shifter opening with factory block off plate installed, not a clean top with just the cup openings. Also note the cup openings are not connected to each other as in the more recent Explorers. Looks like this specific piece was only used for a short run in production.

16PIU Console Knox22045-A_resize.jpeg

16PIU Console KX22045_LHV.jpg

16PIU Console Knox22045-B_resize.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BTW if anyone wants an OEM retail console from a 2015 that was removed at purchase, let me know. I will give mine away for shipping costs. I scavenged a few panels off it, but for the most part its just collecting dust in my garage.
Late to the game, guessing it is already gone?

Back