Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm quite late to the game compared to most of you, but I appreciate the 3D file and all of the super-helpful comments left here over the past 6 years or so.

Sharing my own console "journey" — I picked up a nice XLT console on eBay for $65, cleaned it thoroughly, took out the center floor plate, and when the factory floor brackets arrive, will figure out the wiring. The new console has harness connections but from the comments here, looks like they're definitely not plug and play. Will have to get out the Ford police mod handbook and work through the wiring in my spare time. Any tips, anyone?

Also - I'm slightly terrified I'm going to somehow trigger the Restraint System and set off all the airbags. 😂 Bottom line, I'm hoping I can just set the new console on top of it without worries. Did those of you who added civvie consoles just leave it there and put the new console on top?

Thanks.

I actually still have parts of this console, but many parts have been scavenged already.
Do you by chance happen to have the trim piece on the bottom with the 4 plastic brackets that the shifter insert plugs into? (I think it is also attached to the cup holder brackets).

Do you by chance happen to have the trim piece on the bottom with the 4 plastic brackets that the shifter insert plugs into? (I think it is also attached to the cup holder brackets).
PM me your number & I can send you pics of what I have.

I'm quite late to the game compared to most of you, but I appreciate the 3D file and all of the super-helpful comments left here over the past 6 years or so.

Sharing my own console "journey" — I picked up a nice XLT console on eBay for $65, cleaned it thoroughly, took out the center floor plate, and when the factory floor brackets arrive, will figure out the wiring. The new console has harness connections but from the comments here, looks like they're definitely not plug and play. Will have to get out the Ford police mod handbook and work through the wiring in my spare time. Any tips, anyone?

Also - I'm slightly terrified I'm going to somehow trigger the Restraint System and set off all the airbags. 😂 Bottom line, I'm hoping I can just set the new console on top of it without worries. Did those of you who added civvie consoles just leave it there and put the new console on top?

Thanks.
Just make sure you unplug the battery before messing with the restraint module as a precaution. I added retail seats and console to mine and was worried plugging in the seats might set off the airbags while working in there, so just played it safe. Once I had the seats and console in, it sat nicely above the module so really not a worry any more.

I've been wiring up the things through the stock console harness and try to leverage the power or 14-way police harnesses in the console area when I can so I have a short run and easy access to the things I need, in hindsight I kind of wish I had just bought the leads that plug (might be another for the power) directly into those connectors vs. de-pinning or splicing into them to extend them. Mine came with both the male/female connectors and the end that would go to the dash was just lopped off about 6" from the connector so I was left with some nice leads to wire into. I used that to extend the power to the 12v rear and inside storage bin console outlets as well as the Aux jack in the storage bin. for the power in the front bin I just plugged the existing 12v plug straight into that power outlet vs. rewiring to the console connector.

Most of the other wires in the conenctor aren't used (like rear AC/heat or ambient lightning) and I de-pinned from the dash side of the connector so I didn't have a bunch of loose wires hangin out of it and also made extending the ones I needed easier to find and get to. it's a work in progress and some were just done temporarily with crimp on connectors vs. solder and heat shrink, so I need to get back to cleaning it up.

Just make sure you unplug the battery before messing with the restraint module as a precaution. I added retail seats and console to mine and was worried plugging in the seats might set off the airbags while working in there, so just played it safe. Once I had the seats and console in, it sat nicely above the module so really not a worry any more.

I've been wiring up the things through the stock console harness and try to leverage the power or 14-way police harnesses in the console area when I can so I have a short run and easy access to the things I need, in hindsight I kind of wish I had just bought the leads that plug (might be another for the power) directly into those connectors vs. de-pinning or splicing into them to extend them. Mine came with both the male/female connectors and the end that would go to the dash was just lopped off about 6" from the connector so I was left with some nice leads to wire into. I used that to extend the power to the 12v rear and inside storage bin console outlets as well as the Aux jack in the storage bin. for the power in the front bin I just plugged the existing 12v plug straight into that power outlet vs. rewiring to the console connector.

Most of the other wires in the conenctor aren't used (like rear AC/heat or ambient lightning) and I de-pinned from the dash side of the connector so I didn't have a bunch of loose wires hangin out of it and also made extending the ones I needed easier to find and get to. it's a work in progress and some were just done temporarily with crimp on connectors vs. solder and heat shrink, so I need to get back to cleaning it up.
Not gonna move the RCS, just cover it up with the console, but it's a great point about disconnecting the battery. The other day, my wife almost spilled a drink on the exposed RCS and I about had heart failure because I was highway driving! Covered that thing up immediately after that!

When the OEM floor brackets finally come in, I'll be able to see which connectors, if any, will work. They're all there, under the dash and in the console. I'm hoping at least one of them is plug and play, but doubtful. I'm sure some splicing/soldering will be required. Not looking forward to the time that will take! :)

I see you're in Fruitport. I grew up in Northview and the beach was like every weekend of my high school days. And of course, the Whippy Dip! :)

Not gonna move the RCS, just cover it up with the console, but it's a great point about disconnecting the battery. The other day, my wife almost spilled a drink on the exposed RCS and I about had heart failure because I was highway driving! Covered that thing up immediately after that!

I bought a stock XLT console and have been waiting a few weeks for the OEM floor brackets to come in, at which point I'll be able to see which connectors, if any, will work. They're all there, under the dash and in the console. I'm hoping at least one of them is plug and play, but doubtful. I'm sure some splicing/soldering will be required. Not looking forward to the time that will take! :)

I see you're in Fruitport. I grew up in Northview and the beach was like every weekend of my high school days. And of course, the Whippy Dip! :)
The only ones that are plug and play with the console are the PIU's 12v power outlets. there are two behind the PIU trim panel and can be plugged right into the 12v plug on the XLT console. If your PIU has Sync then I think the USB and Aux might also be plug and play too, mine doesn't have sync so those didn't work on mine, but just wired Aux last week. The other big connectors behind there are PIU specific and don't plug into the console. I might have some pictures of what I've done in various steps or connecting the console.

Oh yes right where I live, Whippy Dip is just about 2 miles from my house! Too bad you're not closer these days, I'd just have you swing by and show you what I've been doing on my PIU, it would be great to have some others close by to share tips and help each other on modding these.

The only ones that are plug and play with the console are the PIU's 12v power outlets. there are two behind the PIU trim panel and can be plugged right into the 12v plug on the XLT console. If your PIU has Sync then I think the USB and Aux might also be plug and play too, mine doesn't have sync so those didn't work on mine, but just wired Aux last week. The other big connectors behind there are PIU specific and don't plug into the console. I might have some pictures of what I've done in various steps or connecting the console.

Oh yes right where I live, Whippy Dip is just about 2 miles from my house! Too bad you're not closer these days, I'd just have you swing by and show you what I've been doing on my PIU, it would be great to have some others close by to share tips and help each other on modding these.
If I ever drive back to MI I'll give you a shout! Would love to see what you've done and compare notes.

Hey @peterk9 - @DHG2496 - anyone - is there any issue in disconnecting the Restraint Control System module in the center floor console area when the battery is disconnected? I need to get a bracket under the harness and I don't want to trigger the airbags. :)

My ears and wallet thank you.

Hey @peterk9 - @DHG2496 - anyone - is there any issue in disconnecting the Restraint Control System module in the center floor console area when the battery is disconnected? I need to get a bracket under the harness and I don't want to trigger the airbags. :)

My ears and wallet thank you.
I can't remember if I had to unplug mine when I did my console install, I think I just removed unplugged the battery when I was adding my seats and plugging them into the restraint system when I did mine. I just pulled up the Workshop Manual and they have a special procedure for powering down the SRS module that requires you to remove a fuse. I'll DM you with a couple links with the full process that I saved as PDF for you.

You rock! Thanks.

Probably best you actually do your research.

20190531-172404.jpg
Where did this console come from? I’m trying my best to find one, but none look as good as this!

Where did this console come from? I’m trying my best to find one, but none look as good as this!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on August 4, 2020.

Peter

That’s the factory “interior upgrade” console that came in the PIUs when optioned that way. Very difficult to come by. I have one in mine but the trim doesn’t match as it came out of a 2015 and my PIU is a 2016.

4FE2105D-2D81-4D6D-867E-7417AB6F8F0B.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Something I'm not too clear on about installing a civilian console. Here is my '15 now,

IMG_8490.JPG

And here is a picture of a civilian console,

1285_1001138587_02_web.jpg

Do you somehow slice off the front of the civilian console so it butts up to the lower dash of the PIU? It looks like on the civilian models the lower dash ends 10 inches off the the floor and the console goes under it. I'm just having a hard time picturing how this is installed.

Back