Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Something I'm not too clear on about installing a civilian console. Here is my '15 now,

View attachment 372034

And here is a picture of a civilian console,

View attachment 372036

Do you somehow slice off the front of the civilian console so it butts up to the lower dash of the PIU? It looks like on the civilian models the lower dash ends 10 inches off the the floor and the console goes under it. I'm just having a hard time picturing how this is installed.

The entire lower portion of the dash is replaced when doing the swap. The side panels (in the foot well) as well as the lower dash panel that has the power outlets is taken out. The retail console slides into the space they take up. The retail consoles side trim goes farther forward making it seem less.
Hopefully that makes sense. If not I can provide some pictures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Something I'm not too clear on about installing a civilian console. Here is my '15 now,

View attachment 372034

And here is a picture of a civilian console,

View attachment 372036

Do you somehow slice off the front of the civilian console so it butts up to the lower dash of the PIU? It looks like on the civilian models the lower dash ends 10 inches off the the floor and the console goes under it. I'm just having a hard time picturing how this is installed.
There may be a steel bar across the bottom of the stereo system, I had to remove mine to get the Center consol to line up with the radio

The entire lower portion of the dash is replaced when doing the swap.
Ok I think I see what you mean. I removed the side panels and then the panel with the 2 power outlets would come off, then the new console would slip into that space? I assume the PIU baseplate isn't used then?

IMG_0872.JPG

Ok I think I see what you mean. I removed the side panels and then the panel with the 2 power outlets would come off, then the new console would slip into that space? I assume the PIU baseplate isn't used then?

View attachment 372037
That’s correct. After removing the panel with the power receptacles there may be as stated across bar which you would also unbolt and remove.
The steel PIU base plate is removed as well and not used. The retail console has 2 mounting brackets, one front and rear that bolt to the floor once the PIU base is removed.

OK thanks, will start looking for a console. 2013 to 15 only, I understand?

OK thanks, will start looking for a console. 2013 to 15 only, I understand?
If you want the trim colors to match yes you’ll want to stick to 13-15. If it doesn’t matter, anything from 13-19 will fit.
The 13-15 is grey and silver like the picture of mine posted a few posts back and your PIUs dash trim. And the 16-19 is a 2 tone black.
If you look at mine you can see how it fits perfect but does not match.

I'm looking for a factory center console for my 2016 PIU. Only interested in the one identical to the civilian model with the non floor shifter design. Any suggestions? I too am having a hard time finding anything.

I'm looking for a factory center console for my 2016 PIU. Only interested in the one identical to the civilian model with the non floor shifter design. Any suggestions? I too am having a hard time finding anything.
All 5th gen retail (civilian) Explorers have the console shifter. Only the PIU has the steering column shifter.

Peter

I just got one of these for my Utility. I've yet to install it....but it sure looks nice. I think it's going to work out very well.

Be prepared for sticker shock if you want to buy the top panel for the retail console that is smooth without the shifter holes. If I remember just that top plate is a couple hundred for just that trim if buy it from ford. It's kind of hard to find on the parts sites but it can be purchased, they are very rare but a few have managed to find them in junk yards.

If you haven't already seen them the 3d printed filler cups work nicely too if you want to live with a retail one with the shifter and traction dial holes.

I haven't been able to find anything, not even a part number for the smooth one.

I recently purchased a 2014 FPIU and am currently looking for a center console that will fit. As of now we are unable to find one, I was wondering if anyone knows of a center console that will fit?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

Is this pictured for sale? Or do you know where I can buy it from?
Not for sale, just a reference with the darker colored trim, it will probably go back in mine someday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

K5OUN, I just recently converted my 17' PIU from column shift to floor shift. I could probably always keep some extra parts around. Could you PM me some pics of what you have left on your console? Or you can text them to me. Just curious as to what you have left.

I ordered mine with the interior upgrade package so I already had the console. Just had to change the top plate, add a shifter and do a bunch of wiring. I plan on doing a write up soon.
Why?

Back