Center Console Message Center Bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console Message Center Bulbs

SR77

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
On my 1996 Explorer I have the center console with the message center. When the headlights are on the message center button labels are back lit, there are 2 really small bulbs, 1 on the left and the other on the right of the console buttons. The bulb on the left side of mine is out and i cannot find a replacement for it. There is no part number on it for any part store, so i went to Ford and they said that the bulbs are "non replaceable" and that the only option to fix it is to by another message center. This makes no sense to me, bulbs are not ment to last a lifetime, and if the bulb is able to be removed, why is it not replaceable. Anyway, does anyone know if there is anywhere that I would be able to find this bulb? Has this happend to anyone else before? I checked the local junkyards and had no luck. Even buying a used message center is not worth the cost for a small bulb? Any other options out there to replace this bulb? If I can get a camera, I can try to post a picture of the bulb if someone needs to see what i am talking about. thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

SR77, I may be able to help you out with this... I removed my bulbs from the area you speak off. If you can take a pic of the bulb you need I may beable to find it and send you a replacement.

STUDD469, thanks for the reply. i really appreciate the help. I will try to get a pic or 2 posted by tomorrow when i get home from work. It is a very small bulb in a round green base. almost looks like an LED. thank again

Here are the pics of the bulb and socket i am looking for:

bulb003.jpg.w560h420.jpg

bulb002.jpg.w560h420.jpg

Like I said, this bulb is very small and looks like an LED. The second pic is the bottom of the socket. This is what you see when you pull out the message center. Hope this helps, thanks

wow that is a really small bulb. i have noticed after reading your post that one side of my MC is out as well. I think ill just take a trip up to the junk yard and rip out a few bulbs, if i find some extra that work ill mail one to yah.

spotdog14, thanks for the help. I have already tried the junk yards near me and could not find any with a message center still intact. Hope you have better luck! I think it is rediculous that Ford does not have a replacement. Do they really think people are gonna buy a new message center when one bulb goes out!!!! Thanks again for your help.

Can't tell how small they are since there's no point of reference.. Like a coin or dollar bill next to it.. From just looking at it,,, they look like the bulbs in my corvette dash.. i think #161 bulbs.. but my bulbs were much bigger than LEDs.

-Tim

Iv got something that might work for you... I have some with a grey base. Looks similar to yours but the bulb looks slightly smaller. I also have just a light bulb. I had to remove the light bulb from the base so I could install my LED bulbs. If you look closely you will see to leads wraping around the green base. you can unravel those wires and pull the bulb out. The replacement bulb can then be slid back in and the leads wraped back around the green base. I could be and ass and charge 1million dollars since no one is selling these bubls hehehe :p But I won't. Email me your address and I will ship it. We can discuss $$ later. mwil028@gmail.com

Got em'. They are a more blueish color then green but look really good.

So which bulb is it exactly? I def need some.

Back