Center console noises?!?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center console noises?!?!?!

spardicus

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Anyone else with issues of the center console creaking, cracking and squeaking. 2014 Sport is about to drive me nuts. It seems that if I push on the plastic at the top or bottom of the volume button. It quiets down for a little bit. Also have found that squeezing a winter scarf between center console and driver seat helps, but come on this thing is supposed to be a premium vehicle. Yeah I can turn the radio up as the wife suggests, but for 45K I shouldn't have to. Local dealer says its a characteristic of the vehicle and there is nothing they can do about it. Really love the vehicle but can't stand the noises. American made rattle trap, I wish these guys would use more nuts and bolts vs clips and snaps. Wondering if anyone else has the same issues or any fixes before this thing is off to the trade lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum spardicus.:wavey:
This is the first post of this kind that I can recall. The console on my 2011 never made any noise what-so-ever. It is definitely not a 'characteristic' of the vehicle. For some reason that seems to be a 'catch phrase' for many things that they can't explain otherwise.
I suggest that you send a private message to Crystal (FordService), the Ford Rep that monitors this forum. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Good luck.

Peter

Here's the second post. Mine squeaks all the time. You can wiggle it and hear it start. I have no idea what is causing it, but it sure is annoying. Been doing it for about six months..I've had the car for a year and a half.

Here's the second post. Mine squeaks all the time. You can wiggle it and hear it start. I have no idea what is causing it, but it sure is annoying. Been doing it for about six months..I've had the car for a year and a half.
Almost sounds like it isn't bolted down properly.

Peter

Anyone else with issues of the center console creaking, cracking and squeaking. 2014 Sport is about to drive me nuts. It seems that if I push on the plastic at the top or bottom of the volume button. It quiets down for a little bit. Also have found that squeezing a winter scarf between center console and driver seat helps, but come on this thing is supposed to be a premium vehicle. Yeah I can turn the radio up as the wife suggests, but for 45K I shouldn't have to. Local dealer says its a characteristic of the vehicle and there is nothing they can do about it. Really love the vehicle but can't stand the noises. American made rattle trap, I wish these guys would use more nuts and bolts vs clips and snaps. Wondering if anyone else has the same issues or any fixes before this thing is off to the trade lot.

Its interesting because Ford has pretty significant Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH) engineering standards. There are engineers that just work on those specific issues for each vehicle platform.

Squeaks and rattles are covered under warranty for the first 3yr bumper to bumper warranty period.

Mention it when you take it in for the next oil change.

My 14 Sport has annoying squeak/rattle in the overhead plastic sunglass holder.

Its going to be dealt with by the dealer.

Nope. No interior squeaks, creaks, or rattles.

Glad I only paid 30K for mine as I have no creaking or squeaking coming from my interior!!

Anyone else with issues of the center console creaking, cracking and squeaking...

Here's the second post. Mine squeaks all the time...

Hi spardicus and Hammertime3,

As Peter suggested, it's time to get me involved. Shoot your info over to me in a PM so I can get to work on some options to help; I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Have your dealer check for TSB 12-9-3. When I complained about this, my dealer checked right away and was able to confirm the sound immediately. They replaced all the cowl windshield clipsets. Most were broken or if not bent. Service Advisor said the original clipsets were out of position. Go figure.

Had the same issue with squeaking from the center console of our '14 sport. Mentioned it as an annoyance to my dealer (Kelly Ford, Melbourne FL) when I was in for the 1st oil change, and they fixed it there and then. I suspect it is a known 'problem.'

Back