Center console question 01 x sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center console question 01 x sport

5ugnst1

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
I have a 2001 ford explorer sport, and have a question about the center console. It's the console with the bag and the "hovering" arm rest. The arm rest broke at the brackets a while back, and my father built custom wooden brackets with wood and super glue. It looks hideous, and the rear cupholders don't come out anymore. Ontop of that, im over the way Ford designed the cup holders.

If anyone has a write up on how to install a custom whole new center console, please let me know!
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats the same arm rest (just bolted to a different console) that ford has been using on the Ranger, BII, and Explorer (gen2 Ex's have a different style) since 1989. Stop by a junkyard and see if they have any. Its just 4 bolts on the sides that hold it in.

Ok cool thanks I'll have to do that. What about the entire console from the carpet up? Is There a way I can replace the entire thing

Yup, just pick up a real console from another sport or sport trac. They had the darker gray like yours. The earlier ones will fit, but they used a lighter gray.

EDIT: I dont know why i thought you had gray. I must be going nuts in my old age.

Yea I'm looking for a console with a lid and deeper cup holders.

One of the easiest and best creature comfort mods you can do. If you still have the bag it'll bring some nice change on eBay.

My console swap

Awesome write up. I'm going to head to the junkyard and see if I can find any. Thanks again

You'll like it MUCH better !! :thumbsup:

Back