• Register Today It's free!

Center Console Removal

kythri

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I'm looking at removing my entire center console in my 1999 XLT, and replacing it with this:

http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=649&status=-1

My XLT has the center console deal with radio controls (no longer functional after stereo upgrade) and rear air.

The rear air rarely gets used, so I'm not too worried about it, but if it looks easy to save, I might make the effort, and mount the control panel in the rear of the lockbox deal that I'm going to install.

My question is:

Is there anything major I need to look out for when removing the factory center console?

The removal instructions I've seen look pretty straight forward, but I don't want to rip out some important wiring or anything like that.

I've done a number of forum searches, and can't find any caveats, but just wanted to double check.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I removed mine. Something that I haven't tackled yet is that if you remove the wiring harness that goes through the console, the rear speakers will not work anymore. I plan on splicing some things together at the connector.. but as of now I don't mind having a 2-speaker system. :p

Everything else just unbolts, so you should be able to save everything incase you want to go stock again or you decided to sell the Explorer.

section525 said:
Something that I haven't tackled yet is that if you remove the wiring harness that goes through the console, the rear speakers will not work anymore.

Theoretically, then, that shouldn't be an issue for me, since my speakers were all replaced, and are all driven off of an aftermarket amplifier that I had installed.

Excellent.

I noticed a wire distribution block deal in the front of the console area.

Anyone have any ideas what this is? Is it attached to the console?

That is for the rear audio and AC controls, the CD changer, the side power outlet, etc.

hey, i know i'm a newbie to this site but that $300.00 price tag for a pretty basic box seems kinda high to me. I'd rather go buy the supplies and make something myself for way cheaper. If the price tag was lower, i would be interested cuz it looks pretty tough. Just my 2 cents. :)

I'm not paying retail... :D

The price of the box includes all of the face plates or spacer panels. There's a ton of different face plates to match just about any radio or equipment configuration.

I've had the opportunity to examine the box first hand - the company that designed the box and licensed it to Jotto for distribution is local to me.

It's a super heavy-duty deal, and the company/manufacturer support is second to none.

Beyond all of that, I'm not a fabrication guru, and would rather pay the money to have something like this that I can install, instead of dinking around trying to make something work from scratch.

wow man, thats ####in sad. all you need to do, is go to home depot and look around, i could build that box very nicely for under 50 bucks. but to each their own i suppose. good luck, btw why? and if you have a factory amp, the wiring still goes through there. I doubt they rewired all speakers to the deck, but maybe...

ps, since your a dist. i hope you pay less, but i feel bad to all those who pay that outrageos price for a box...

everythintech said:
wow man, thats ####in sad. all you need to do, is go to home depot and look around, i could build that box very nicely for under 50 bucks. but to each their own i suppose. good luck, btw why?

Why? As I said, while the box itself isn't horrible complicated, there's also the matter of the faceplates and everything else.

I don't have the equipment to cut and bend high-strength steel, so this works better for me.

and if you have a factory amp, the wiring still goes through there. I doubt they rewired all speakers to the deck, but maybe...

As mentioned, I have an aftermarket amp. The entire sound system has been redone. RCA's from the deck to the amp, and wires from the amp to the speakers.

ps, since your a dist. i hope you pay less, but i feel bad to all those who pay that outrageos price for a box...

I'm not a distributor. Most distributors will charge you less than the retail price on the Jotto Desk website.

I honestly don't believe the price of the box (even assuming $300.00 MSRP), which includes all of the exact-fit face/mountplates for your equipment, is really that outrageous. From what I understand, this includes plates for mounting switches, the radio plates, blank spacer plates, whatever.

To each their own, I suppose.

I wonder how many $$$ you'll have in it by the time you get the "options"

300 bux for a shell, even if you pay 150 it's too much
How much for the cupholder option?

jtsmith said:
I wonder how many $$$ you'll have in it by the time you get the "options"

300 bux for a shell, even if you pay 150 it's too much
How much for the cupholder option?

$10 or $15, right around there.

One of the options I'm choosing is for 3 accessory outlets in a panel - $15.00

Considering that NAPA or Autozone will charge you $4.00 or $5.00 for a single cig lighter/accessory outlet, $15.00 for three of them in the panel ain't bad.

which wire in the center console goes to illuminate the rear air and radio controls...i need to splice this wire but dont know which one

honestly, id make your own...its really not that complicated, and why do you need a heavy steel console? make one out of mdf, cover it with whatever, or paint it. heck man you could make it all totally custom. but thats just me, good luck with it.

Back