• Register Today It's free!

Center Console

jrpackman

Reaction score
City, State
Kill Devil Hills , North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
My center console is worn real bad. I have been thinking about removing it and puting one is that goes all the way to the dash. Just wondering what you guys have done in your explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey man i was looking through the forums and i came across this i just finished a center console and posted about it in another forum. i also am working on door pods heres the post

ok first off gus i know this isnt FG but thought id share anyway. ok well my son decided to put his foot through my old center console so i had to redo the old one was half assed anyway. so on with the pics please let me kow what ou guys think its very basic and simple. my old one housed two 8" subs this on doesnt. thanks in advance guys here are the pics
IMG_0122.jpg

here it is mocked up before i take apart and glue and what not final adjustments i hate having to scrap and redo
IMG_0124.jpg

another angle
IMG_0125.jpg

i know i know stay awayfrom the bondo crap but i had it laying around and i figured for what im going to use it for its cool and ive worked with it enough i can make it do what i want i honestly have not had any problems with it.the old console is in the background if you look above the bondo lid and under the hardener you can see where my son put his foot through :D
IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

i didnt want to take my iphone out and get it full of dust while sanding so i didnt take pictures of that part but im sure everyone on here knows what sanding is. i dont have pictures from start to the mock up because i thought i didnt have a camera my mom had borrowed mine and then it hit me i have an iphone so i busted it out at that point. i added sup holders by request from the wife :mad: and the rectangular slit up front is for my eq i had it by my foot in the old console. i relocated it because it was a pain to have to reach down by my foot to make adjustments. i used bedliner for the finish i used about 4 coats nice and even coats oh by the way this is going in my 2000 ford explorer xls ill post more pictures tomorrow im done for the night again guys let me know what you think

GONZO

Ok so i took more pics and installed about 30 mins ago let me know how it looks
IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

the truck
IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

thought id throw the next few in just cause
IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

this is my rear view mirror
IMG_0161.jpg

the compressor and tank are for these
IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

let me know guys

GONZO

Dude! you live right across from the simpsons!! I can see their house in your rear view mirror! LOL

Since you had everything disassembled why not run the cables for your ipod inside the console and integrate a base into the console for a more clean/custom look?

NICE!!
I want to do this, How did you attach it the the floor, and do you have the basic measurements?

Dude! you live right across from the simpsons!! I can see their house in your rear view mirror! LOL

Since you had everything disassembled why not run the cables for your ipod inside the console and integrate a base into the console for a more clean/custom look?
i was going to do exactly that but i couldnt find a base that would sit my 5.5 gen ipod and my iphone 3g (seperatly) none were compatible with each other. ive had the cables in the glove box from day 1 the white cable is an a/v cable since my jvc- KW-ADV790 isnt built to play videos from the ipod thru the ipod cable i have that cable to send the signal out and into the input on the back of the deck.

NICE!!
I want to do this, How did you attach it the the floor, and do you have the basic measurements?
umm measurments um yeah lol j/k i have them somewhere ill have to find them for the slanted pieces i didnt measure i had the console in place and kept cutting a same piece untill its workable i had a lot of "trimming" while bondoing the gaps and rounding off the edges. and if you have an existing console when you remove everything you can see two small bolt welded to the floor. all i did to "secure" was use simpson strongtie "L" brackets i bolted one side to the console allowing it to sit snug around the bolt the brackets have a hole on one side and an oval on the other i used the oval on the bold and the round hole to secure it to the console it isnt permanent all this does is allow me to remove the console with ease and still hold it in place and keep it from sliding back and forth
bolt.jpg

one of the bolts is located here somewhere the second is exactly across this one on the drivers side

Too bad that you couldn't find a base that works for your application, what about separate bases like so (sorry for the kindergarden drawing, I'm @ work and only have MS Paint hehe):

Attachments

• console.JPG
    console.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 557

Too bad that you couldn't find a base that works for your application, what about separate bases like so (sorry for the kindergarden drawing, I'm @ work and only have MS Paint hehe):

i was thinking of doing something to that extent but i only have one ipod cable and tried looking for some sort of splitter but as far as i could find no such thing exists lol im using paint at home as well i have photoshop somewhere here in my desk but lazyness once again prevails

umm measurements um yeah lol j/k i have them somewhere ill have to find them for the slanted pieces i didn't measure i had the console in place and kept cutting a same piece until its workable i had a lot of "trimming" while bondoing the gaps and rounding off the edges.

lol Ive done that too many time to count, so I know how you feel.:D

Back