center support bearing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

center support bearing

bird692

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 sport trac
I have a 07 sport trac 4x4 with a bad center support bearing. ford does not make a replacement for the 4x4 but they do for the 4x2. Will the 4x2 work on the 4x4 drive shaft?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same year vehicle and problem was told it's a non serviceable part you have to replace whole rear driveshaft

I ended up having a one piece shaft made for $270. I have not had any problems.

I ended up having a one piece shaft made for $270. I have not had any problems.

Can you share any details or pictures of your one piece driveshaft? Did you use ujoints or keep the cv's?

I think my carrier bearing is wearing out too, so I'd like to have a one piece made if it will fit. I have seen an aftermarket two piece shaft that uses ujoints but if a one piece will fit thats one less bearing and joint to go bad..

I was told the same about the drive shaft. You have to replace all of it. Close to $1000

There is a little joint that down in the US that makes a replacement shaft with a repairable carrier. Fort Wayne I do believe. They will run you around 500 bucks. If you have a local drive line shop they should be able to make you a one piece drive shaft for about half of that. Shouldn't make a difference which you use, the rear end is fixed so there is no movement on the shaft. The CV's and the IRS do all the ups and downs in the rear end of the SUV.

Just out curiosity how did your truck drive with that center bearing bad. And what kinda noises did you hear if any

Back