Central locking system won't lock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Central locking system won't lock

drakerc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2001
Hi

I'm from Poland, so please excuse me for any English mistakes I made :). I bought a used Ford Explorer Limited 2001 in a pretty nice shape, however, I've got one small problem with it. There's something wrong with the central locking system (I think so?). I can't lock any door from the key fob, also I can't lock it via the driver's / passenger's side door controls - it's just that nothing happens when you press the lock button on the remote / controls panel. However, I can lock the car with the car key (both sides) without a problem, but when I do so, only one door locks (the one in which I placed the key - damn, it's hard to explain :) ). Also, unlocking seems to be working OK - I can unlock the doors via the passengers side door's controls (unlocking also doesn't work via driver's door controls) or via the keyfob.
Have you got any idea what should I do to make it work? It seems to me that there's probably something wrong with the central locking system - I don't know if I should rather look for a faulty wire, a fuse, or rather an actuator? Or maybe something else? Thanks, Kris.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for this link! SUVs and other big cars are extremely unpopular in Poland (especially Ford Explorer with its engine), as the fuel price is really high and nobody really knows how to repair this great car.

Anyway, could you please tell me a bit more what is "left rear near the door sill"? Is it the place under the driver's seat (when looking from the back seat), full of cables, or is it somewhere else? Sorry for that kind of stupid question, but technical English isn't my best thing :).

Thanks for this link! SUVs and other big cars are extremely unpopular in Poland (especially Ford Explorer with its engine), as the fuel price is really high and nobody really knows how to repair this great car.

Anyway, could you please tell me a bit more what is "left rear near the door sill"? Is it the place under the driver's seat (when looking from the back seat), full of cables, or is it somewhere else? Sorry for that kind of stupid question, but technical English isn't my best thing :).

the wiring harness is located on the driver's side (left) under the carpeting. open the driver's side rear passenger compartment door and lift up the carpeting closest to the door jam, almost under the rear seat. you'll see a bundle of wires there and there will be 4 pink colored wires spliced together with one other wire (see picture in supplied link). this splice rots/corrodes away and when it does your door lock wont work.

HEY! A POLAK!

Otwórz tylne lewe drzwi. Tam jest plastik na dole zaraz po otwarciu. Ten plastik co leci obok kapetu.
To jest plastikowy panel. Podnieś ten panel i jest tam wiele kabli pod nim i znajdziesz przewód który jest uszkodzony.

Pozdrawiam z Kanady!

Bardzo dziekuje za odpowiedz! Jutro sprobuje naprawic zamek i dam znac czy sie udalo. Pozdrowienia z Polski, trzymajcie się cieplutko!

[MENTION=186147]koda2000[/MENTION] - thanks again for your advice, I'll try to repair it tomorrow.

I've got one more question and posting a new thread wouldn't be necessary (I think) as it's almost nothing. Is there any other location (besides on the left driver's door) where I could find the paint color code of my Ford Explorer 2001? I'll need to make some minor repairs soon (there are some minor scuffs and scratches, and the front bumper is cracked) and I wanted to order car paint for it. However, the sticker on the front door is missing and I can't find the color code. So, is there any other way to find the color code? I'm thinking that the previous owner could have painted it, because I couldn't find any color code for a black Ford Explorer Limited. Maybe someone would know anything else? My VIN code is 1FMDU73E0YUB78349 (unfortunately, it's a model for Europe so many VIN-checking systems say it's invalid...). I have also made some photos of this Ford:

1aQN4tZs.png

KDyg3fZs.png

YOb0kaUs.png

Bardzo dziekuje za odpowiedz! Jutro sprobuje naprawic zamek i dam znac czy sie udalo. Pozdrowienia z Polski, trzymajcie się cieplutko!

[MENTION=186147]koda2000[/MENTION] - thanks again for your advice, I'll try to repair it tomorrow.

I've got one more question and posting a new thread wouldn't be necessary (I think) as it's almost nothing. Is there any other location (besides on the left driver's door) where I could find the paint color code of my Ford Explorer 2001? I'll need to make some minor repairs soon (there are some minor scuffs and scratches, and the front bumper is cracked) and I wanted to order car paint for it. However, the sticker on the front door is missing and I can't find the color code. So, is there any other way to find the color code? I'm thinking that the previous owner could have painted it, because I couldn't find any color code for a black Ford Explorer Limited. Maybe someone would know anything else? My VIN code is 1FMDU73E0YUB78349 (unfortunately, it's a model for Europe so many VIN-checking systems say it's invalid...). I have also made some photos of this Ford:

1aQN4tZs.png

KDyg3fZs.png

YOb0kaUs.png

there's only one paint code for black, and black is pretty much black. good looking truck!

I'm gonna come steal your front grill guard. The silver bumper in the front looks really nice.

Thanks guys for your answers. I gave my Explorer to a car workshop to install LPG (liquid gas) system (as I said - it costs about $9 a gallon of normal gas in Poland, so driving this monster would ruin my budget :) ), so I'll try to fix the locking system when I'll receive it from the shop and I'll let you know about the results. Thanks again!

DjDom - thanks! I love the look of those "pipes" too. To be honest, this car was a real bargain - I paid about $2600 for it. Because of the petrol price here, currently almost nobody wants a car with such a big-ass engine - most people buy economical cars with with a ~1l engine :).

Re your LPG system - you might have a look at the UK subforum here. Almost no LPG here in US, but a lot of them in England. Good luck.

Just received my Explorer from LPG installers - works great on gas!

Anyway, I tried to do something with the locking problem. Well, I found those cables, however, these are really inaccessible. I can partially pull up the plastic panel on the left (with Explorer logo on it as far as I remember), and the second panel to the right doesn't really move and it would probably break if I tried to move it deeper into the car's interior. This wiring harness is visible, but seriously inaccessible and I can't those cables out or anything. Any suggestions? Or do I have to break those plastic panels in order to gain access to these cables, or maybe cut the car's "carpet"? Sorry for these stupid questions, but I don't really want to destroy this beautiful car :). Please see the attached photos (it's pretty late here, so I had to use a flashlight, so sorry for the quality)

973JlbRl.jpg

weUx1gAl.jpg

RoO4ARul.jpg

Hi again

Well, I managed to gain access to these cables. I found the cable everyone was referring to and well, it was green, full of patina. Unfortunately, after cleaning all this, the car still won't lock, so it didn't really help. I just don't know what to do. Isn't cleaning it enough? Do I have to cut this cable and re-solder it? Or maybe it's a wrong cable? Please see the photo:

BaBAKo2l.jpg

that's the correct cable. usually it just falls apart at this splice. your's still looks ok in the picture you posted. the next place to examine is in the driver's side door jam. there is a black plastic cylinder near the hinges that houses all the wires for the windows and door locks. what often happens is that a wire breaks going into this cylinder. peel back the rubber boot an look for any broken wires.

It didn't look OK before I cleaned it :). It was extremely green and I just scratched this green residue with a knife (you can even see this green powder in the door sill in my photo). I think that there's still much of this green stuff in the wiring, so I'll try to cut it and re-solder it. I'll also check out the driver's door jam tomorrow.

It didn't look OK before I cleaned it :). It was extremely green and I just scratched this green residue with a knife (you can even see this green powder in the door sill in my photo). I think that there's still much of this green stuff in the wiring, so I'll try to cut it and re-solder it. I'll also check out the driver's door jam tomorrow.

Hej,
The green is corrosion on the wire. I would try re soldering it and checking it with a multimeter.
Make sure that wire is getting power.

Well, that's odd now. I haven't re-soldered it yet, but I just used a multimeter on the wire we're all talking about. There's no current (power) on the wire when I click the lock button on my keyfob or when I click the lock button on any of the door's panels. But when I click the unlock button (as I previously said - unlocking works perfectly), there's current on this wire. Is it even supposed to be current on this cable when unlocking? I thought there was another (probably pink-green) cable that was responsible for the unlocking part.
Should I still try to re-solder it? I'm running out of ideas :). It's certainly an electric problem, probably with the wires, because as I mentioned, I tried two diffrent keyfobs, the fuses look OK and well, after clicking the lock button on my keyfob, it turns on the alarm so there must still be some connectivity between the lock button and the car. Sorry for this messy description, but I'm doing my best to describe it in English :).

Well, nothing helped. All the accessible wires look OK, I even went to a car electric and he also said that the cables look OK to him... What can I do now? I'm out of ideas, really. I bought it almost two weeks ago and haven't really driven it anywhere because I can't lock it (I'd lock it manually with the key, unfortunately, the trunk can't be locked by the key) and I'm now considering selling it, but that would seriously suck... Any other ideas? Maybe I should try to do something with the fuses? (I don't think so, but who knows...) Or the RAP module (it could be an issue - previous owner stored a lot of liquids in the trunk compartment where the RAP is)? I'm also attaching a picture I found on Polish explorer forum - a guy with similar problem solved it by connecting an additional wire to the RAP and the second module in the trunk, but to be honest, I've got no idea hot he's done it - maybe you could help me with that?

centralny_na_krtko1_104.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the diagrams I have, pink/yellow is for Lock and pink/light green is for Unlock. I can't see your pics well enough to see which ones you have out. Good luck.

Back