cgriffin_5139's sliders | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cgriffin_5139's sliders

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgriffin_5139

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Well I read almost every thread pertaining to sliders last night. I went out and gotevery thing i will need to make them,drill bits, bolts, nuts, washers, lock washers, 12ft of 2x3, 4 ft of 1 ¾ stock and some ¼ plate steal. I am going to be starting on these monday after work. Any feed back before i start would be great thanks. The drawing is how i will be making them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep i know i have to drop the gas tank to do so. I will be bolting them to the pinch rail under the doors i think.

You also have to move the fuel lines, or at least be very careful when drilling!

We discussed this at length in my sliders thread. If you attach sliders to the frame and body, when the frame and body flex, you may have issues. More than likely, the pinch weld will rip under the pressure.

My sliders are attached to the frame only. There was a few places where the brackets or bolts touched the body, you wouldn't believe how much noise it made under normal driving conditions. The body and frame move quite a bit in everyday driving.

We discussed this at length in my sliders thread. If you attach sliders to the frame and body, when the frame and body flex, you may have issues. More than likely, the pinch weld will rip under the pressure.

My sliders are attached to the frame only. There was a few places where the brackets or bolts touched the body, you wouldn't believe how much noise it made under normal driving conditions. The body and frame move quite a bit in everyday driving.

Yeah i read your slider thread.

As mentioned before, i'd just go with 3 legs and call it good...they will be plenty strong. I've got 4 legs on mine but that's because i've got such a long span to protect (supercab ranger). If/when you land on a rock or other obstacle your sliders will flex a little bit but that's perfectly normal.

I just thought of something else- the front frame section where you want to attach your sliders to is fully boxed, you will have to drill through both sides to bolt the front on. May be difficult to do depending on how you make em.

Well igot all the lay out done, just need to weld them up tomarrow. I also won't be ataching them to the bottom of the body. I also am going to weld them to the frame.

How much gap are you going to leave between the slider and body? I left about 3/4" and the sliders will still hit the body.

Leave a gap in between the sliders and the body, the frame itself just flexes to much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back