• Register Today It's free!

Chain or Belt on SOHC V6?

Hectanooga

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Is the 4.0 Liter V6 SOHC belt driven or chain driven? I would imagine it is belt driven, but I really am not sure. Can anyone illuminate this subject for me? Thanks.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm buying a '98 Explorer this Friday, I was hoping it was a chain so I didn't have to worry about timing belt changes.

I am pretty sure all the recalls are taken care of... but what are those recalls?

Is there anywhere I can find out about them? Websites?

Run a search for 00M12 and 01M01 for details about the extended warrantys for the SOHC engine O'rings, timing chain cassettes and camshaft tensioners.

TPLYNCH said:
Run a search for 00M12 and 01M01 for details about the extended warrantys for the SOHC engine O'rings, timing chain cassettes and camshaft tensioners.

I just called to see if mine is covered, and those a-holes at the dealership said that it isn't. Even though it is listed as a recall, for some reason my exact truck isn't part of it, and it will cost $500+ to have it fixed.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/20/012015DC.html

:fire: I am HATING my Explorer right now. Too many things going wrong for a vehicle with 50K miles.

Try calling a different dealer or Ford Customer Care and see if you can get it done. The warranties were extended only on engines to a certain build date. They may be saying your engine was built after. If you ***** loud enough, you may get them to do the right thing.

Hectanooga said:
I'm buying a '98 Explorer this Friday, I was hoping it was a chain so I didn't have to worry about timing belt changes.

so will a timing chain never require service or change?

my 97 x is sitting at the ford dealer right now ..i complained and complained about the rattle on cold start up for the last couple of years and last week i took my ford 350 service truck to a ford truck service i talked to the manager about the marbling sound on cold start he told be to bring in my 97x and if it wasd bad he would try to get me in on 0m1 tsb....ok so they find my cam chain tensioner is leaking by.. so the suprise is that my ford was done on the recall already ..i have the metal chain guides and the updated tensioner...so he's recommending that i change the tensioner and the cassete...estimate of 650 so far...i

jazz_master221 said:
my 97 x is sitting at the ford dealer right now ..i complained and complained about the rattle on cold start up for the last couple of years and last week i took my ford 350 service truck to a ford truck service i talked to the manager about the marbling sound on cold start he told be to bring in my 97x and if it wasd bad he would try to get me in on 0m1 tsb....ok so they find my cam chain tensioner is leaking by.. so the suprise is that my ford was done on the recall already ..i have the metal chain guides and the updated tensioner...so he's recommending that i change the tensioner and the cassete...estimate of 650 so far...i

A few Ford technician say the tensioner will continue to make noise even after the recall.. They say you should only be worried if it doesn't make noise.. Doesn't that sound like a load of crap.

Back