Chance of getting correct / oem Fuel regulator O-ring quickly ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chance of getting correct / oem Fuel regulator O-ring quickly ??

EB4X

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orange county, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer 4X 4.0 ohv
I'm sure the answer is NO....
But by a long shot has anyone got an aftermarket Fuel pressure regulator and discovered (like me) the O-ring with it is insufficient? ....any luck with specialty store having one OR one that will work?--In particular I need the rubber sleeve/ ring shown... Not looking forward to carrying over my 25 year old one....or shipping unit back and ordering OEM $$ and waiting for that to show up....
4.0 OHV
See pics:

REPLACEMENT O RING.jpg

OEM.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

90% sure that O ring is the same one used on the fuel injectors and parts stores stock those
Make sure you never install O ring dry. Vaseline, ATF, engine oil, you can use to coat the O ring

I put small layer of engine oil on it first....the o-ring portion may be the same but the injectors don't have that rubber sleeve...the critical part I need.

To add this replacement unit / single o-ring worked for about 2 miles....where fortunately I parked. When I went back out to Explorer and started up it strongly misted out fuel...fortunately I smelled it before driving off. Did not (of course) do this after initial install - flashlight inspection while running showed good.

What you're talking about is merely a "fuel pressure dampener". The actual fuel pressure regulator of your car is part of the pump assembly inside the gas tank. The thing inside the tank at the top of the fuel pump assembly is what regulates the overall fuel pressure. This dampener you're talking about that is mounted on the injector rail is only used to smooth out the pressure peaks that would otherwise occur when the injectors are running and shut on and off fuel supply to the individual cylinders.
I'm only explaining this here not to be a smarta$$, but because you might have more luck finding parts when searching for "fuel pressure dampener" instead.
Other than that, there's good advice here from others already.

Edit: Looking at the pictures you posted I must say I can't really see the problem of a missing sleeve. Instead the fuel pressure dampener in the upper picture seems to have the "sleeve" that you're looking for integrated into the tube itself. The tube is clearly wider at the bottom than what sticks through the O-ring at the end.
So the O-ring seems to sit against the bottom part of the tube.

This design may not be working as good as the OEM one if manufactured poorly, but to me it really doesn't appear to be wrong per se either and to me it looks like it may not even be solvable with adding a sleeve.

Well my post wasn't to get into technicalities, when searching online for THIS part it's description is vastly described as a "Fuel Pressure Regulator" --right or wrong that's the outcome.....not the top part of the fuel pump assembly in the gas tank. And I never questioned or diminished the one post of advice here - I simply stated I had indeed applied lubricant to the o-ring. Not sure what your "advice here" comment is implying...on search there is no other posts that came up to address this particular issue.
Return of lacking unit and order of unit with necessary sleeve has been done at this point.

Well my post wasn't to get into technicalities, when searching online for THIS part it's description is vastly described as a "Fuel Pressure Regulator" --right or wrong that's the outcome.....not the top part of the fuel pump assembly in the gas tank. And I never questioned or diminished the one post of advice here - I simply stated I had indeed applied lubricant to the o-ring. Not sure what your "advice here" comment is implying...on search there is no other posts that came up to address this particular issue.
Return of lacking unit and order of unit with necessary sleeve has been done at this point.
Looking at the picture again, I edited my post. As I wrote there, I don't see how a 'missing sleeve' could be be the issue.
I would personally either look/shop for a replacement 0-ring or a whole other fuel pressure dampener. You could also try using the o-ring from the old dampener on the new one and see if that sits better, but I wouldn't generally recommend doing that, as old rubber or silicone tends to be somewhat problematic. And either way when you install it do as suggested by 410fortune which you did last time as you say.

Here is a damper

41awuDBEhjL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,BottomLeft,0,35_SCLZZZZZZZ_FMpng_BG255,255,255.png

I'm abundantly aware of the more technically correct term at this point.....but as mentioned before.... do a search for " 95 Ford Explorer fuel pressure regulator " on Ebay and google and you'll see only "dampers" come up.... (the part I need / got) ... not a diagram with a fuel pump with breakdown showing "regulator" .....

I'm abundantly aware of the more technically correct term at this point.....but as mentioned before.... do a search for " 95 Ford Explorer fuel pressure regulator " on Ebay and google and you'll see only "dampers" come up.... (the part I need / got) ... not a diagram with a fuel pump with breakdown showing "regulator" .....
Some list the part so, other stores list it so, that's all, why I explained the official name and function for the part (for everyone looking in here).

Seems you already found a hopefully better working replacement, so good luck with that. it should hopefully fix the issue
If that doesn't solve the problem, then you might have to take a closer look at the other side of the connection.
I'd have to look under the hood to see what went where, but If I remember right, one of the sides connected to a line that has these quick release safety clips and those can be kind of finnicky and the springs holding them in place can break when they're old.

Can't help with a source for this o-ring and spacer, but on a '95 it is a fuel pressure regulator, not a damper (though some sellers might mislabel it.

Vehicles prior to '99 (not sure about all engines) with a return fuel line to the tank, have the pressure regulator on the fuel rail above the engine not in the tank. Returnless fuel systems '99 and thereafter have the pressure regulator in series with the pump on the sending unit in the tank and have a dampener on the fuel rail above the engine.

Is there any change that it's just not seating well because there is corrosion that needs cleaned out of the mating area? I could be wrong but it looks to me like the original had a narrower diameter on the nipple between where the o-ring sits and the body of the regulator so the sleeve type gasket-whatever would fit there but the aftermarket instead has a larger diameter in that area so a (same size) sleeve wouldn't fit. I'm guessing this based on a pic I saw on Rock Auto where there doesn't seem to be the same clearance on the aftermarkets like a Standard Motor Products PR61T (pictured below):

PR61T_Other__ra_p.jpg

Can't help with a source for this o-ring and spacer, but on a '95 it is a fuel pressure regulator, not a damper (though some sellers might mislabel it.

Vehicles prior to '99 (not sure about all engines) with a return fuel line to the tank, have the pressure regulator on the fuel rail above the engine not in the tank. Returnless fuel systems '99 and thereafter have the pressure regulator in series with the pump on the sending unit in the tank and have a dampener on the fuel rail above the engine.

Is there any change that it's just not seating well because there is corrosion that needs cleaned out of the mating area? I could be wrong but it looks to me like the original had a narrower diameter on the nipple between where the o-ring sits and the body of the regulator so the sleeve type gasket-whatever would fit there but the aftermarket instead has a larger diameter in that area so a (same size) sleeve wouldn't fit. I'm guessing this based on a pic I saw on Rock Auto where there doesn't seem to be the same clearance on the aftermarkets like a Standard Motor Products PR61T (pictured below):
Yes, the new unit's 0-ring is slightly larger on it's outer diameter -- a "couple hairs" (and yes I'm taking in consideration of wear on original)...and unlike oem which has flatter and wider mating area it's a narrower contact area.
What's another big deal (aside from not having adjoining sleeve) is that unlike the one you pictured where THAT one's o-ring is clearly filling in entire allocated groove for it - like of course it should - my unit has clear gap/play in "o-ring groove" - see picture - as if they put on wrong 0-ring for unit. But all this aside, even with larger o-ring I'd rather have OEM one with sleeve - which is on it's way tonight.

UNIT 1.jpg

Cheap China parts are hit and miss. YMMV.
The original is a precision device made by Bosch in Germany. Mine still works great after 25 years.

Who knows what is in that black box :lol:

The original is a precision device made by Bosch in Germany. Mine still works great after 25 years.

Exactly. My replacement being shipped is an OEM Bosch.

Oem is always king

Exactly. My replacement being shipped is an OEM Bosch.
I did buy a tank fuel pressure sensor from Herko. Seems to work fine. Had a ton of good reviews. Not sure if Ford even makes the part anymore.
Your 95 don't have the part, the 95 tank differs from the 96 in a hole for that sensor.

It is there purely to run an emission test. It checks for holes using a pressure test.

And the 96 just has the hardware but won't set a CEL, so it is just a $20 tank plug, (will set a code, and I know it works because it detected a gross vacuum leak due to my rotted out evap line that I replaced with fuel line (was smelly from fuel too)). Lucky in the OC you will never have to worry about that or changing out a rotted tank, unless you drive it in the Pacific :lol:.

Oem is always king
Like that plastic filler neck? ;).

I highly doubt that part is currently made in Germany.

Like that plastic filler neck? ;).

I highly doubt that part is currently made in Germany.
Likely he is buying NOS. But I saw a box for valve covers for the OHV, recently made in Germany (by date).

OHV is a German Engine, Germans never stop making parts for their own cars. Mahle is one OEM, the OEM headgaskets have their trademark. They still make new HGs under their brand for the engine. Parts for these engines were likely made in the same factories as BMW and Mercedes.

Weird how Audi used the same dreaded rear tensioner design like the SOHC engines. Same issues with their guides in their V8s at the time. Probably used the same supplier.

The fact that the motor was engineered in Germany has nothing to do with where the parts are made 25 years later. Bosch (and Mahle) are both made all over the globe, including China. Profits, not pride, are driving these decisions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back