change the color of the gauge cluster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

change the color of the gauge cluster

I been looking to change the cluster to a diff color. I found a post on hear but can't find it now :( but i think this is about how to do it

1 take the cluster out
2 take the clsuter apart
3 get a putty knife and peel the overlay off
4 get 120-200 grit sand paper and sand the green tint of the back of the overlay
5 hold up to light to see if you have it all off
6 put in color of bulbs you want
7 re asemble
8 wait till night to see the beauty.

Is this about right and can some one help me find the post

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could have swore that is was on hear idk maybe it was else wear. SO how would i change the color of the gags. Is it the over lay that has the green tint or is the plastic thing it set on? Is it even tit or just green plastic?

That is the general idea, you don't even need sand paper, just get a razor blade and scratch the film off like your scratchin a lottery ticket.

cool thanks man . I was thinking I want 2 diff colors i was thinking of just get like some model paint and add thinner till i was kinda clear or get that stain glass paint. with is about the same thing.

Just order some wide angle LED's, they are cheap and will pretty much never burn out. If you want to do two different colors, just wire them up to a SPDT switch, or to two different switches so both colors can be on at one time and then you'll have 3 different colors.

i would spend the $20-$30 and get the cool indego gauges off ebay, looks alot nicer and the same amount of work
http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...trt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=32&fsoo=2

I have herd or seen nothing but bad **** when it comes to thows...The needles sticking and not work...They work for a while and then they start sticking...

I would just get a 01-03 Sport or Sprot Trac gauge cluster...There white from the factory...Look a hell of a lot better!
5228_1.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-0...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
:salute:

ya ended up searching for one and found it, but with me being so cheap i'll probably end up getting the $30 ones if i decide to end up doing them lol

I been looking to change the cluster to a diff color. I found a post on hear but can't find it now :( but i think this is about how to do it

1 take the cluster out
2 take the clsuter apart
3 get a putty knife and peel the overlay off
4 get 120-200 grit sand paper and sand the green tint of the back of the overlay
5 hold up to light to see if you have it all off
6 put in color of bulbs you want
7 re asemble
8 wait till night to see the beauty.

Is this about right and can some one help me find the post

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187754&highlight=cluster

That might be the post you are searching for.

Yep that was the one thanks man .

I just actually completed this myself, so i had it bookmarked. Its not too bad to do , scratching the film does take a little while, i used an exacto knife blade and it worked like a charm.

Right now mine just light up white, but i will order some blue bulbs.

All the needles are easy to put back as you can stick them on with the truck running after it has been fully warmed up so just take a picture. Then put them back to their positions and they should be right on.

For the speed it is a two piece needle(at least on 98 sport it is). So with the truck running i removed the peg that keeps the needle from falling,it drops to around pointing at the R on gear selector. Then i took the black cap off around the needle and it dropped a little further just below the n.

So when i was putting the needle back i put just the needle on first pointing below the n with the truck running. Then once i put the black cap on it went up to the R. I had to play with this a few times to get it to look like it did before i took everything apart. Then i put the peg back and asked my brother to follow me in his truck i went 70 km/h and he followed me exactly and i was going around 67 km/h. So this method was quite accurate for me.

I thought i would post what i did as a tip for anyone that is doing this, i don't know whether it will work on every truck the same way but it did work with pretty good accuracy on my 98 sport.

Ya i did it to the bulbs i had make it look orange now :(. I marked them b/c i took them off and let the engine to warm up some like you said. But i still think they are off. can i restet them some how like take the bater off for like and hour or do i just have to mess with it till i get them right?

Ya i did it to the bulbs i had make it look orange now :(. I marked them b/c i took them off and let the engine to warm up some like you said. But i still think they are off. can i restet them some how like take the bater off for like and hour or do i just have to mess with it till i get them right?

Have to mess with them till they are right. Or just get a friend to drive behind you like i did to double check. Like mine the speed is right but my rpms were a little off. I messed with that of a while. Also maybe make sure the needles are not on too far and touching the gauge faces, that might also make them inaccurate.

ok thanks look like i got something to do tomorrow.

Did you take any pics yet?

not yet. I plane to tomorrow b/c i also painted the doors and the vents. Just have to make her look as good b/4 i take pics :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back