Change the instrument cluster | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Change the instrument cluster

Reaction score
City, State
Erm, Drenthe
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT
Hi, I want to change the instrument cluster from my 2010 Explorer. I have a black one and want to change it with a 2008 white one.
Because the 4th generation was never imported in the Netherlands, Ford Netherlands had no idea how to reset the CPU to de-activate the key lock.
They said it would only be possible to do with a brand new cluster and not with a used one. They had also no idea which software to use (they have the 5th Gen software but did not know if this would work) I have no intention to let them try something and me ending up with a car that does not start at all.
Question 1. Is it possible to replace the cluster with a used one ? If so, will the mileage on the new one be the same as the old one ?
Question 2. What software do they need ? if I know the version, they can request it at the main office.

Check this thread for info:

Check this thread for info:

Hi Rick. Thanks for pointing out this thread

Hi, I want to change the instrument cluster from my 2010 Explorer. I have a black one and want to change it with a 2008 white one.
Because the 4th generation was never imported in the Netherlands, Ford Netherlands had no idea how to reset the CPU to de-activate the key lock.
They said it would only be possible to do with a brand new cluster and not with a used one. They had also no idea which software to use (they have the 5th Gen software but did not know if this would work) I have no intention to let them try something and me ending up with a car that does not start at all.
Question 1. Is it possible to replace the cluster with a used one ? If so, will the mileage on the new one be the same as the old one ?
Question 2. What software do they need ? if I know the version, they can request it at the main office.

Hi
Changed my 2007 EX XLT cluster after EEPROM memory gone to 2010 Eddie bauer cluster with message center with no problem.

In your new cluster you will need to replace your VIN using as build editer like "As build hacker" and Forscan or the car wont start...

No need for dealer rotunda tool or special skills...

Also new keys will need to be programmed to cluster memory.

Back