Change timing chain guides on engine swap? 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Change timing chain guides on engine swap? 4.0 SOHC

andykwells

Reaction score
City, State
Kenbridge, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLS
I'm getting ready to do an engine swap, from a 2003 Explorer 4.0 SOHC, into a 2003. The new engine has 135,000 miles. It has no noises, rattles, etc. Should I re-do the timing chain guides before it goes in? Thanks, as always.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes

I would. Just did a swap like that, put an 03 4.0 with 90k into my 05, when swapping valve covers found both engines had broken rear timing guides even the one with 90k miles.

Yes don't cheep out on this one

Yes definitely. Most of the labor is actually getting access to the parts. With the engine out, all of the removal labor is done. You just have to pull the valve covers and timing cover, and you're at all of the timing chain components.

The process of learning how the timing tools work is a little slow, but you can get it done in a couple of hours. Go slow and carefully, have the right best parts and tools, and it should be no big deal.

Back