Change to SYN PS Fluid

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
I'm getting ready to make the switch to syn PS fluid. Is there any way to flush my ps system to remove all the old fluid? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I don't know any way to flush it but what I did was take one of the kitchen type basters (spelling) like you use on a turkey to suck up and squirt the juice to keep it moist. I took that and sucked out as much old fluid as I could. Hope this helps.

Yes I have done this too but that's only part of the fluid. There still must be a whole lot left down there in that rack&pinion.

I would undo one of the power steering lines and turn the wheels. Don't crank the motor though because it will run the pump while it's dry. That is how we got ot all out of one of our old pumps before.

Disconnect the return line and put the end in a bucket. Turn the key for about half a second. On then off as fast as you can. DO NOT LET THE ENGINE CRANK! Keep adding new fluid each time you cut the key off. Watch for the fluid coming out to become the color of the new fluid.

Ah great idea. I think I will try that if noone else has an easier solution. Thanks.

Cool thanks John. I knew there was an easier way. This is only one of the 30 different things i've been doing to my truck in prep for the run!

Ford has a PS flush service machine.
Also what effect will turning the key to the on position have on the power steering? The pump is powered by the engine belt and it won;t run from just turning on the key....will it??

He means "bumping" the starter, which rotates the engine in slow bursts.

Ok I get it now...would disconnecting the spark plug wires provide more piece of mind and allow you to crank the engine longer to get the fluid out? or turning off the fuel pump switch? just ideas I was thinking of for when I do it.

Yeah that would be the best idea right there. But I'm far too lazy to do that. I'm actually about to start doing it right now. Anyone know which line is the return line?

I just did it.

Arg, no change in noise or performance. And it's still a milky brown color.

Does anyone make aftermarket PS pumps for fords?

Originally posted by 95XLT
Ok I get it now...would disconnecting the spark plug wires provide more piece of mind and allow you to crank the engine longer to get the fluid out? or turning off the fuel pump switch? just ideas I was thinking of for when I do it.
More peace of mind maybe, but it won't allow you to crank it longer. Just that short burst pushes so much fluid out that you'll need to refill it right afterwards. You need to keep it full so you don't suck any air into the system.

Does anyone change their power steering fluid on a maintenance schedule? I change all of my fluids in my truck on a standard schedule excluding the PS fluid. I've never seen it listed as an item to be changed. Does anyone have a good recommendation on how often it should be changed?

Thanks,
Mike H.

We've never changed it in our '88 Bronco II. The only reason I did in the explorer is I have reason to beleive I got water in it.

I have heard from some that it is a good idea to do the PS and Brake fluid every 100K or whatever

Back