Change transmission but doesn't run in any gear. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Change transmission but doesn't run in any gear.

I know that this is kind of a stupid question, but did you put in the input shaft, and put it in with the short splines going into the tranny? That's the smaller shaft with splines on both ends that goes into the tranny (through the pump into the OD carrier) and the TC. I'm just trying to think of things that might be forgotten when replacing a tranny. Without that shaft in place, you would have fluid flow and pressure, but no geartrain-driving torque coming out of the TC (free-spinning). The outer snout of the TC runs the pump, but the input shaft is what transmits the torque to the tranny gears.

It is the one in the center (Galcier991's pic from page 3 of part 3, 2nd half...aw heck, here's the link, about halfway down the page):
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113354&page=3&pp=20
Here's the pics of interest:
15286Dscn4950.jpg

15286Dscn4951.jpg

There's only four areas that could cause NO engagement:
1-low fluid level (which you have checked)
2-low main control pressure
3-mechanical damage/issues
4-electrical issues

Sounds like you are good to go on items 1 and 4, and with a newly remanufactured tranny I wouldn't suspect 2 or 3, but the problem is in there somewhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like a pressure issue. If it were me I would be looking more twards the pump and pressure end. The motor would not have turned over had the TC not been all the way seated. When I installed mty tranny The reason for nothing was tghe hydraulic pressure once that was solved whether in the valve body or the pump that is where I would focus. If it were electrical it would throw an error in the computer.

Just my 2 cents.

Brain,

Input shaft are in. They only one left to do is the pressure check. If I can't checked it today, I will check it this weekend because I will be driving to Philadelphia for a military duty tasking early morning tomorrow and be back by Friday night.

As long as I have you guys, I'm not giving up.

When I bought the truck I though replacing a transmission was easy (yes, it was easy but making it work is the hard part). I'm also having a hard time getting a guarantee replacement because they're saying that it was not installed by ASE certified mechanic. So I will try to make it run with your expertise and your unyielding help.

vr/Gerry

I had one that did the same thing... As I was unwilling to spend $500 to replace other parts that were re-used in the rebuild, I simply decided to get a reman for $795. It worked right out of the box. And, I have installed about 100+ trannys in my life - I know how... It was probably a clearance issue in the front pump or something, I never did find out why it wouldn't go. A local rebuilder said that about 1/3 of all his 5R rebuilds did that and had to be re-done.

Did you try shifting the transfer case? Maybe there is something wrong there.

Elkhunter,

I tried to switch to 4HI and 4LO but doesn't do anything either. I don't know if this matter: I can easily turn the front propeler shaft (between front axle and transfercase) while the engine is off -- which I believe it should because the 4X4 was not engaged.

One more left to do is to check the pressure. I will disconnect one of the cooler line connected to the radiator and see if there's a fluid flow. Glacier991 recommended me to do this and I haven't had a chance due to military duties. I will let everybody know what I will find and start from there.

The funny thing is I'm willing to remove the trans again if that's what it takes to make it work. Sometimes I felt like giving up but the more I work into it the more I get challenge to fix what is wrong. If finally all of us had fixed the problem, the taste of victory will be soooo sweet. Just like the military taugh us; to keep figthing not until run out of ammo but until your last breath.

Just to let everybody know, I'm doing this in our apartment parking lot with the permission of the apartment manager of course. We don't have the equipment but we have tools to do the job. Wrenching and serious exploration forum ROCKS!

hey guys what about the shift sensor from what I understand if that is not working the computer does not get a signal to change from park to drive or reverse or any other gears.

ITS FIXED! Thank you for all of you specially Glacier991 and Brain. Without you it will never be fixed.

Today I checked the presure as suggested by disconnecting one of the cooler line from the radiator and no fluid flow. So for the third time I removed the transmission again and replaced the oil pump. Installed back the transmission, filled with fluid and let it idle for 20 mins while adding fluid. Put it in gear and the damn thing moves. Ahhhh what a sweet victory and very fulfilling. Thank you again.

GREAT ! ANd thanks for sharing the problem! NOW <deep breath> did you align the pump to bellhousing before you reinstalled it?

[Note to jayreb - good call. The fact that he had no movement in any gear lowered that probability.... generally you will miss only certain gears with that, but sharp call!]

Now you tell me. Well we used the old pump (from the original trans that don't have reverse) including the bellhousing and bolt the whole asembly to the reman trans. We just swap it.

Again, thank you to all of you.

Dynoski.... sorry, I had assumed we'd hear from you as to your findings before any reaassembly occurred..... had I known repacing the pump was going to be performed, I'd have said something about alignment. It's covered in the Rebuild Diary....BUT.... as long as you did not disassemble the pump/bellhousing, it should be fine, so all's well that ends well.

Way to go!!! :thumbsup:

There are only a coupole of issues with doing it that way, but hey - it's working...

The snout of the pump that fits into the overdrive drum has two seals on it that might have been better to replace, and I don't know of a way to check the front end play (to size the #1 selective thrust washer) without removing the pump from the bellhousing, but whatever works, works...right?

Again, congrats on getting it to go.... :burnout:

Now you tell me. Well we used the old pump (from the original trans that don't have reverse) including the bellhousing and bolt the whole asembly to the reman trans. We just swap it.

Again, thank you to all of you.

I know this is an old post, but I have a 99 xlt 4.0 SOHC awd/4wd sitting in the garage, and when you said "the pump" in the transmission, specifically, what is the proper name for this? I wish to do the same procedure, any/all feedback is appreciated guys!

the VIN of the vehicle is: 1FMZU34EZXZA26894

the label on the inside of driver's door says:

EXT PNT: SU R RC:13 DSO:
WB BRK INT TR TP/PS AXLE TR SPR
112 4 Z2 Z D4 D BF

UTC (small upside down triangle symbol)
F85B-152U472-AB

Back