• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Change Your Plugs!

eddie95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
I recently bought a 1995 ford explorer eddie bauer and it has been a good vehicle so far. It hasnt ever run real smooth though, it didnt seem to have a lot of power and it didnt get good gas mileage (18mpg avg for half and half city/highway). Well I decided to change my plugs and wires just for the heck of it.

First of all, it isnt as hard a job as people say. You can easily get out the plug in the passenger back from under the hood with a little patience and removing the air intake hose. But dont even attempt the job until you get a universal joint for 3/8 in. I got a set of three (all drive sizes) for 4 bucks at menards.

Well, i got the first one out and it was original..... and IT HAS 120thousand miles on it! So I replaced them and now it runs like brand new. It starts and idles as smooth as any new vehicle. I am also getting 20+mpg and more horsepower. This was all done for under 75 bucks for wires and ngk platinums.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

SoNic67

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 V8 (Eddie Bauer) AWD
First of all, it isnt as hard a job as people say.
Well, the ones that say that is a hard job are the ones that had rusted blocks, from nothern US. Just because you didn't have that "luck", don't generalize that it is "easy".
Penetrating fluid was applied 2 days in a row before attempting. Repeat the broken plug 3 times per each side...

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
eddie, props on getting the Ex running well!
Sonic,..Holy CRAP!! I've never seen anything like that! Also, can't you get in big trouble calling Virginia a Northern state!?! ;)

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Mine were original at 160,000...

SoNic67

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Also, can't you get in big trouble calling Virginia a Northern state!?! ;)
This is the first car that I bought that was registered previously in Michigan. Didn't know better. Now - I won't even look at one from a state in rust belt :)

drlower

Reaction score
City, State
canonsburg, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 exploder
those of us who live in the rust belt figured out that changing plugs is yearly for us so they dont have time to rust. also lots of broken bolts and busted knuckles up here.

LBarr2002

Reaction score
City, State
Leesville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4, '92 XLT 4x4
When I got my '92, it had 5 recently changed plugs and one original at over 200,000 miles... I guess that one was so hard to get to they just never changed it...

The whole electrode was gone. I wish I would have taken pictures of that.

drlower

Reaction score
City, State
canonsburg, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 exploder
my dad has a 15 year old blazer with the original plugs that he keeps asking me to change, but im afraid to touch them as i know ill be drilling those out after 15 pittsburgh winters.:mad:

eddie95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
Well, the ones that say that is a hard job are the ones that had rusted blocks, from nothern US. Just because you didn't have that "luck", don't generalize that it is "easy".
Penetrating fluid was applied 2 days in a row before attempting. Repeat the broken plug 3 times per each side...
That does look really bad. But my vehicle is from michigan and it has more than its fair share of rust on it. I guess your right i had good luck with the block.

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Mine were original at 160,000...
Snowball's plugs were original at 230k... :D

...but they didn't look like Sonic's- holy CRAP!!!

yavapaires

Reaction score
City, State
Dewey, Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Anti sieze

For about $3-$4 you can buy anti sieze. Apply just a small amount to the threads on your plugs before installing them. Works great on both cast iron and aluminum heads. What we used to do in the Volkswagen shop, was to run a pencil across the threads to help keep them from pulling the threads out of the head.

SoNic67

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am pissed at Ford that they didn't use nickel-plated plugs and/or antiseize. Also the half-treaded design (used for automated installing) acted like a smooth gap that traps the salt (and rust).
The ones that went in after that, where Autolite XP iridiums, nickel plated and with antiseize.

nismotunedgtr

Reaction score
City, State
Windham, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 250k miles
I bought a 96 Sport with 192k and it had the original plugs and wires. It started hard, especially hot. Idled like poop, if I stalled it (lol) it would take forever to get it started again.

Pulled the wires, saw the paint on the top of the plugs and they were original. None of them had any electrode left. What a difference plugs made lol

GRNMACHINE

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport 4x4
My originals lasted 15= years, granted only 66k miles but that is a long time. Replaced with Autolite Platinum and anti-seize. Original plugs and wires did not look bad at all.

And agree with all the others, WoW Sonic, I have never seen anything like that, good job getting them all out and replaced!

SoNic67

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Not so good after all. at the last one, my remover tool broke and I had to have that head pulled and send to a machine shop. Now, 400$ latter, I know NOT to use cheap tools.

Red Delta

Reaction score
City, State
SW Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
D'oh! (I'm sure the language you used was a tad stronger)

Not so good after all. at the last one, my remover tool broke and I had to have that head pulled and send to a machine shop. Now, 400$ latter, I know NOT to use cheap tools.

SoNic67

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
I should know better than using a 24" breaker bar on that chinese remover... Oh, well, stupidity costs :)

And yes, I won't ever buy a car/truck from "up there". No matter how cheap it is.
PS: Rear drums and cable where looking similar inside - a compact mass of rusted metal.

GRNMACHINE

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Sport 4x4
Yikes!!!

eddie95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
my gas milage went from 18 to between 21 and 22 after this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.