Changed Cruise Control Switches, now "Speed Cont" light blinks, Horn Stuck. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changed Cruise Control Switches, now "Speed Cont" light blinks, Horn Stuck.

BoostedE21

Reaction score
Hey fellas.

I tried changing out my cruise control switches today -- seemed pretty straight forward. Remove negative battery terminal, wait 15 minutes, pump the brakes and turn on the lights to get rid of any residual voltage, take off the two airbag retainer screws, unclip airbag wiring harness, and then do the dirty with the cruise control switches.

Trouble is, after the switches were replaced,

1) Horn won't turn off. Presumably, the horn switch got stuck somehow...not sure how, because i carried that thing as steady as possible...airbags scare me. Any other possibilities, or am I going to have to start hunting down one of those weird flimsy horn pads? Disconnected the relay for now...

2) "Speed Control" light blinks once about every 5 seconds. Cruise never worked for me, but my controls were all deteriorated and a bright green LED stared me in the face all night when driving...so I just wanted new ones on there. Is there some sort of process for installing these that I missed? Why would the speed control light be blinking - it was a one-for-one change, with the correct part number.

(01 3rd Gen Explorer Sport btw)

Man, I'm having the IDENTICAL problem. My switches were broken, so I obtained some new ones at the junkyard. While trying to remove the old switches, the wiring harness clips were stuck, and I ended up breaking the harness. So went back to the junkyard to get a new harness. To install the new harness, I had to remove the horn switch on the right side. After putting everything back together, the horn is stuck. I assumed I did something to the horn switch. Did you ever get a resolution to your problem??

I was correct. Somehow one (or both) of the horn switches were broken. Not sure if it happened when I removed it to install the wiring harness or when I originally disconnected the wiring harness from the horn switch. Replaced both horn switches (got them at the junkyard), reassembled everything and everything is working perfect now.

Back