Changed my transmission fluid 2002 Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changed my transmission fluid 2002 Eddie Bauer

finiteguy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My 2002 Eddie Bauer has 34,000 miles on it. Very low mileage. I brought it to a transmission place and the changed the fluid and filter. No dirt in the fluid, but I did notice that it seems to shift smoother. I asked the guy about the dreaded transmission problems with this generation and he says that as long as i go easy, it should be okay. He says that a rebuild, if I need it some day would run about $1500....not $3,000 like others have claimed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much did you pay bro I wanna get my transmission fluid and filter done

How much did you pay bro I wanna get my transmission fluid and filter done

Paid $125.00 to get the fluid and filter changed....well worth it because it's a job that I could never do myself. The transmission place is in Cambridge MA.

Im in Canada so I have to find a place over here that does it but thank you for giving me a idea roughly what it would cost.

I appreciate it

My '03 has 16000 miles! What is the name of the shop you used? Thanks.

It will make no difference if you "go easy" on it or not. The 5R55 transmissions are pretty strong in terms of power and awesome for towing. The problem is the servo bores wearing out prematurely (and solenoid block). Those bores will go eventually one way or another, it's just a matter of mileage. That being said, you probably have another 60k-100k before you should see any symptoms.

My '03 has 16000 miles! What is the name of the shop you used? Thanks.
New England Transmission on Rindge Ave in Cambridge.
I've been going to them for years. They have been around since 1957....passed the business down in the family. They are very honest. The owner told me that if I take it easy, the tranny should live a long time. He said if it does eventually need a re build, it woud run around $1500.....maybe less if the problem isn't severe. I trust the people there. There is a tranny place down the street from my house and I won't go there.....had a bad experience a few years back.

Ford dealership here told me they would drop pan replace filter drain tc and everything for $125 if your looking to get it done might check with them too.

Ford dealership here told me they would drop pan replace filter drain tc and everything for $125 if your looking to get it done might check with them too.

The thing that I like about New England Transmission is that you can watch them do the work. If you bring it to a dealer, how would you know if they actually did the work? You can't check the fluid because there is no dipstick. I have heard countless complaints of getting ripped off because the technician doesn't do the work and you get charged for the job.

Back