Changed out timing chains. Now has shift and start issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changed out timing chains. Now has shift and start issues.

!!!fast!!!

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
New to this forum but not auto forums in general. Here's the issue. Bought 2003 Explorer XLT 4.0, 175000-ish miles, with rear timing chain slapping. Pulled engine and found all tensioner pads trashed. Replaced all chains and tensioned and reinstalled engine. Tried to start and found the starter went bad. Changed starter and tried to start. Engine turned over several times and then stopped. Now just a click from the solenoid but nothing else. Tested battery and it was good. Anti-theft seems to be ok, light not flashing rapidly. Another problem is, I tried to run the transmission through the gears to see if maybe the neutral safety switch was the culprit and found that the shifter (automatic) was loose and didn't seem to be moving through any gears. I have searched through the forums and found a few things that don't seem to be the culprit. Any and all help is appreciated.

Did you try turning the engine with a breaker bar and socket using the harmonic balancer bolt just to confirm nothing locked up?

Found shift bracket that wasn't put on. Don't know how I missed it but that problem is solved.

Back