Changed T-Case with Castrol Mercon V, bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changed T-Case with Castrol Mercon V, bad?

dwcopple

Reaction score
City, State
bay city, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Mounty
Will Mercon V hurt anything? It has drove fine since the change...now I read in the manual that it should've been straight Mercon...should I change it again?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'll be fine.

You can always go higher in the numbers than the manual calls for. I use Mercon VI, (which is fully synthetic) in everything.

from what i understand just dont mix em. and youll be alright

Well, I let it drain for about an hour with the front end up on ramps...I don't think much mixed in there.

You'll be fine. Dont worry about a tiny bit getting mixed.

Mercon V replaced regular mercon in Ford world, it is definitely acceptable and will cause no issues.

i was wondering the same thing...i have MERCON V transmission fluid (about 6 quarts) from about 5-6 years ago...i bought a new case to replace the fluid in my 07 town car and the new MERCON V says do not use in transfer case BUT the old fluid that i have (which is still sealed) doesnt give that kind of warning...maybe they changed it over the years??

I've had that same Mercon V fluid in my xfer case for a long time now and all is fine. yours will be too.

Thanks Wolf, glad to hear it!

Back