Changed the Power Steering fluid today | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changed the Power Steering fluid today

ROBinGa

Reaction score
City, State
Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
I decided to change power steering fluid which has been in there since 2003 I am quite sure. It was black and very thin with no hint of a red color at all. I wanted to just undo the return line where it connects to the reservoir like I did on my F150 but it is so tight in there even with removing the screws that hold reservoir to the bracket I could not get a good grip on the hose clamp. So I followed the return line down where it connects to a small cooling radiator type device above crossmember. That would disconnect easily it looked so that was the plan.

I got some 3/8" ID vinyl tube from Lowes and also a rubber stopper that would plug the end of 3/8 tubing. What I did was put a drain pan under the center and measured a piece of vinyl tube to slip on the metal connector nipple that the rubber return line is clamped to there so it could drain into the pan. Then I measured a second piece of tubing to extend the rubber return line coming off the reservoir into the pan. Use a brass 3/8 x 3/8 barbed coupling to connect it with the vinyl tube. One of the old front hubs from last weekend removal worked great to put in the drain pan and secure the vinyl tubing ends which want to spring back to its coil shape otherwise.

After I jacked front wheels off ground, I disconnected the return line from the little cooling radiator and quickly slipped the drain tube over the metal nipple and let open end go into drain pan. The rubber return line I put the brass coupling into and then allowed the nasty black fluid in reservoir to drain into the pan. Then I added fresh Mercon ATF (not Mercon V) fluid to the reservoir and watched until the clear hose connected to rubber hose showed nice red fluid. At that point I put rubber stopper in open end of tubing and then had a sealed reservoir of clean red ATF fluid.

With the engine off but key in run position I had assistant start turning wheel left to right as nasty fluid began draining into pan as I continued to add Mercon fluid to reservoir. It took over a quart before the fresh red fluid began coming out of the clear tube. I kept the process up for a few more lock to lock cycles and watched until air bubbles stopped coming through drain tube. Then I quickly removed drain lines and reconnected the rubber return line to the cooler nipple making sure I didn't let fluid in reservoir get too low. You have to plan and be fast with this step which will be messy. Refit the hose clamp and wipe down all the spills.

Then with engine still off and reservoir cap off, continue the steering wheel lock to lock for several minutes to make sure any air is burped out. Check fluid level to correct fill then put on the reservoir cap and start the engine. Wheels are still jacked up so cycle the wheel lock to lock for a few minutes until you are satisfied all noises have stopped and wheel is smooth. Check level and go for test drive. It took two quarts for me to do this. Now reservoir and rest of system is full of nothing but fresh red Mercon.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good stuff. I like when things like this that don't get much attention are taken care of properly.

I definitely like it when people take care of maintenance. Plus it teaches me good methods when I read about them.

+3. Excellent P/S flushing method. I guess people use a turkey baster and top off because it's easy.

Reminds me of changing an oil filter and leaving the old engine oil. :confused:

Plus this is very satisfying to watch all that nasty stuff get pushed out finally by bright red fresh fluid. I was beginning to think it would never change to red though.

I used the turkey baster method a long time ago so mine is overdue for this. I think I'll use your method next time. The turkey baster method is better than nothing but your process does it right. Good job!

Now, go do some more stuff so I know what to do and how to do it! :)

Back