• Register Today It's free!

changeing engine oil

explodr04

Reaction score
City, State
Duncanville, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 FORD EXPLORER
I'm changeing my ingine oil tay an i was woundering if i changed it to syntec blend or would that hurt my motor. I have 94k and have taken care of it and been running just normal 5w30 in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont think blend would hurt anything however you may find yourself with some small oil leaks as the seals shrink a bit when you use synthetic

nevermind you have a 98 not a 94 as i had thought you should be fine

at 95k, i changed my 93 sport to a blend and all was well. at 98k, i went to mobil 1 synth and i am quite pleased. (currently at 99.5k)

DON"T BUY THE BLENDED TYPE. There are no regulations to how much of a "BLEND" it has to be...it could only be 5% syntehtic.

make your own blend. buy 2 qts of full syntehic and 3 qts regular. or buy 3 of each and mix them 50/50 then you know you have a true blend

How about easing your truck into the Synthec Oil world? First do 4 reg + 1 syn, then on your next oil change go to 3 reg + 2 syn and so on. I guess when your truck starts to develop a leak then you go a step back. How does that sound?

Also I think its a good idea to stick to the same brand name for the regular and synthec oil.

My truck has never had any leaks with synthetic. I switched straight up from dino to synth at 75,000 miles.

The synthetic blends have so little synthetic in them to make changing to them pointless, however, I would change to full sunthetic ( either Amsoil or Mobil 1 ).

I have never seen any car , truck or boat leak oil after changing to synthetic.

Back