• Register Today It's free!

Changes during 4th generation

michael loibl

Reaction score
City, State
maywood, new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 EB V6 & 2020 XLT
Aside from available colors available, what changes occurred over the generation that I am missing:
2007 added finger slots in door armrests, aux audio input jack on front of radio
2008 added 4x4 badge on tailgate
2009 I believe added the cap less fuel filler

Am I overlooking anything, I looking to add another 4th gen to my set while I can still find a decent low mile unit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to be a pessimistic but also focus on the problems each model/year had and when they were corrected. I have a 2010 V6 and I believe this year had the least problems as they were corrected from previous models. Also if you are looking for low mileage 2009 and 2010 will usually be your best bet. If you like power look for the 4.6 V8, the same for 4x4/AWD if you think you´ll need it.

Good luck

09-10 they changed the alt from a 130amp 3G to a weak 105amp Mitsubishi that nobody makes upgraded models and factory refurbished is like $300

Thanks. Can anyone confirm if it was 2008 or 2009 that added the cap less fuel fill. I'd rather have the traditional cap type. I found a really nice condition 2006 Eddie Bauer dark cherry V8 HD tow package, third row asking $9,000 at a ford dealer near me, but 113,000 miles is a little high for me

Thanks. Can anyone confirm if it was 2008 or 2009 that added the cap less fuel fill. I'd rather have the traditional cap type. I found a really nice condition 2006 Eddie Bauer dark cherry V8 HD tow package, third row asking $9,000 at a ford dealer near me, but 113,000 miles is a little high for me

my 2007 has a normal gas cap... 109k XLT 4.0 4wd cloth third row $8,000 from a used car lot.... I needed a new truck my 1998 blew up so with limited choices on getting to work 45 mile round trip I had to buy something... would have preferred V8 leather... but other than that truck is fairly loaded sticker was $32K... if the one you are looking at looks well maintained I would buy it.... after 6 months of driving it is now at 122k miles....really if mileage is too low or too high it could be a sign of bad things

09-10 they changed the alt from a 130amp 3G to a weak 105amp Mitsubishi that nobody makes upgraded models and factory refurbished is like $300

Really? Even my 2nd Gen has a 130amp alt stock

Really? Even my 2nd Gen has a 130amp alt stock

in 1998 the 130 became the only option.... because the 105 was not enough for any additional addons... the 3rd gen had a 130amp but it was a 4G... they went back to a 3G in 06 but it was pcm controlled... I have tried to help quite a few people doing audio systems in 09-10's but have to tell then you cant do anything to the alt but do a big 3 and add a battery or 2

in 1998 the 130 became the only option.... because the 105 was not enough for any additional addons... the 3rd gen had a 130amp but it was a 4G... they went back to a 3G in 06 but it was pcm controlled... I have tried to help quite a few people doing audio systems in 09-10's but have to tell then you cant do anything to the alt but do a big 3 and add a battery or 2

I don't know much about the newer explorers but the first Gen explorers got a 90 amp alt. Then 2nd Gens got a 130 alt with a 160 alt optional on limited and Eddies. I've never heard of a 105 alt on fords. Which is why I'm shocked the 09+ have them. Well that and why downgrade as they add on the electrical demands

mine is 2008 February and it has cap less fuel fill. It does not seem to cause any issues, at least nothing for me.

If you have a security concern you can buy a locking fuel tank cap. 25 bucks plus shipping.

I don't know much about the newer explorers but the first Gen explorers got a 90 amp alt. Then 2nd Gens got a 130 alt with a 160 alt optional on limited and Eddies. I've never heard of a 105 alt on fords. Which is why I'm shocked the 09+ have them. Well that and why downgrade as they add on the electrical demands

First time i have ever heard of a 160 option on 2nd gen... I did alot of research on my 1998 on alt swaps and 130 was the largest offered at the autoparts store and stock in a junk yard for a swap... Same alt and options on 4.2 v6 f150

We have an early build (October '07, I think) 2008 Mountaineer V8, AWD, Tow package, fully loaded. It has a cap-type fuel filler. Bought it still under warranty in 2010 and now have about 95K on it. Issues: one of the deployable running boards motor failed and I replaced it from a junkyard part, had the leaky exhaust manifold tick-tick and replaced both manifolds, and a fan belt tensioner pully had to be replaced. Replaced plugs and coil-overs at 90K and I think that is it. Good vehicle and used to pull a heavy trailer periodically.

I always think the ideal year for a new model is year 3. Problems with the first run are only being seen in the 2nd year and corrected in the third. After that the manufacturers seem to start de-contenting the models dropping features.

Aside from available colors available, what changes occurred over the generation that I am missing:
2007 added finger slots in door armrests, aux audio input jack on front of radio
2008 added 4x4 badge on tailgate
2009 I believe added the cap less fuel filler

Am I overlooking anything, I looking to add another 4th gen to my set while I can still find a decent low mile unit

mine is a Aug 2008 and i have the cap less and Brown Boots for my 4.6L so easy plugs.

Back