Changin Her Fluids - Biggest Checkup Yet... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changin Her Fluids - Biggest Checkup Yet...

Equnoxe

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Exploder EB Edition
OK, so Ive finally paid off my visa and its time to load it back up again lol...

it also happens to be the time when my oil change is due, so i figured i would do the transmission, transfer case, differentials and the power steering fluid (PS is acting up, so i'm hoping this fixes it, if not ill have to replace either pump or rack...)

this is what Ive come up with, just wanna make sure its all good.

97 SOHC 4.0 4x4
Used standard 5W-30 oil in engine and Standard Mercon V ATF in Tcase Diffs and Tranny previously.

This time i wanna use these...

Power Steering
Mobil 1 Synthetic Mercon ATF
Lucas Oil Power Steering Stop Leak (x1)

Transmission
Mobil 1 Synthetic Mercon V ATF
Lucas Oil Transmission Fix (x2)

Transfer Case
Lucas Oil Oil Stabilizer (x1)

Differentials
Ford LSD Friction Modifier (x1)

Engine
Mobil 1 Clean High Mileage 5W-30
Lucas Oil Oil Stabilizer (x1)
New spark plugs

and some Seafoam :D

Good To go?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a bad list. You can't go wrong with Mobil 1. Personally I would stay away from the additives unless necessary. If the truck has been maintained properly you shouldn't need them. Except the friction modifier for the rear diff. If you have a LSD you may need this to prevent chatter. The diffs use gear oil not ATF.

No need for any of the Lucas stuff.

i only use the lucas stuff because i know it works (the transmissionfix does at least) i had previously had alot of problems with my transmisson, like slipping, the 2-3 flare, it wouldn't always engage into D or R from a stand still. so i put one bottle of LO in and they are went away withing a few days.

thx for bringing that up, ill use that instead (i just thought i say somewere to use ATF.. , what type/brand of gear oil would you say is good.

For the diffs I use Mobil 1 75w140 in back and 80w90 in front. If you don't tow though you can get away with using 80w90 in the rear also for better gas mileage.

Back