Changing Carrier Assembly 3.55 to 3.73 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Carrier Assembly 3.55 to 3.73

03XLTFord

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Since the cost to replace gears is so high I am trying to change the carrier assemblies in my Explorer from the 3.55s to a set of 3.73s. The reason is to get the little extra towing power for pulling a 4,000 lb camper around.

So here are my questions:
Does anyone know if the half shafts are different on the 3.55 vs 3.73 assemblies? Spline count, length, etc?

Are there other issues or specs I should worry about?

I am going tomorrow to look at a front assembly with 3.73 gears. With that assembly out of the donor vehicle I hope to take some measurements and note anything I find.

Stock details:
2003 Ford Explorer XLT, 4x4, 4.6L (Non sport trac)
3.55 axles (differntial mounted sensors)

Work Complete

It took 8 hours from start to finish but I was able to swap a 3.55 carrier with a 3.73 from a donor vehicle. My cost was $675+tax for the assemblies and about $100 for goodies like oil and new seals. I'll post a few details and picks if there is interest. However everything bolted right back in place, axle shafts matched to the new carriers, etc.

PS I was able to find an OEM class III hitch online for $400 a while back. Time to go camping.

..Yes...Pics and more details please...:D

..And where are you located?..I didn't see your location under your name..:(

Back