Changing CV joint: How big of a job is this? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing CV joint: How big of a job is this?

It took 3 pinion seals for me to learn this lesson
I may have misunderstood here. To clarify, the SKF seals I used were for the ends of the axle tubes. I haven't had to do a pinion seal yet.

I wonder if I should ask my mechanic today to re-grease the drivers side CV joint?
I'm not sure it would help at this point to be honest. If it is making noise, the damage is already done so you're better off just replacing the axle. Also, if the grease is gone, it likely escaped through a hole in the boot, and it's better to just replace the whole thing anyways.

If you're dead set on trying it, I use high temp wheel bearing grease on everything like that.
I also asked him about gear diff oil, I'm guessing you always have to top it up when changing a CV axle?

Not necessarily. I've never had any spillage from removing a CV. I only topped it off when I bought it and when I changed the fluid with the diff out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may have misunderstood here. To clarify, the SKF seals I used were for the ends of the axle tubes. I haven't had to do a pinion seal yet.

I'm not sure it would help at this point to be honest. If it is making noise, the damage is already done so you're better off just replacing the axle. Also, if the grease is gone, it likely escaped through a hole in the boot, and it's better to just replace the whole thing anyways.

If you're dead set on trying it, I use high temp wheel bearing grease on everything like that.

Not necessarily. I've never had any spillage from removing a CV. I only topped it off when I bought it and when I changed the fluid with the diff out.

I'm at my mechanic right now. He said the CV joints are still good, not cracked or leaking. He said the passenger side sway bar Link is broken and he showed me. We have one on order right now and he's going to change it out. I'm shocked. I mean if this is it then I'm very happy because a sway bar Link repair is much cheaper.

On the way here I was getting clunk/pop sounds when backing in and even on the straight away driving in.

I'm at my mechanic right now. He said the CV joints are still good, not cracked or leaking. He said the passenger side sway bar Link is broken and he showed me. We have one on order right now and he's going to change it out. I'm shocked. I mean if this is it then I'm very happy because a sway bar Link repair is much cheaper.

On the way here I was getting clunk/pop sounds when backing in and even on the straight away driving in.

Nice! Those are way cheaper than a CV, especially on labor!

The CVs deserve an extra medal now ;)

Nice! Those are way cheaper than a CV, especially on labor!

The CVs deserve an extra medal now ;)
I agree, I caught a break. Noise is now gone. Costed me $60CAD for new sway bar and labour.

Nice!

Back