Changing diff fluid on 2001 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing diff fluid on 2001 sport

jimbo231

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2001 Explorer sport and wanted to change my fluid in the rear end. In my manual it says some rear ends take synthetic that never needs changing. How can I tell what diff i have and what fluid it takes?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get the axle code off of the door sticker, do a search for axle codes and compare to find what kind of carrier you have. If you have a limited slip then you have the synthetic that has additives for the clutches in the limited slip.
However if it says you have a open style carrier then you have standard heavy weight gear oil. You will have to look up what weight oil to use. I think you can use synthetic on a open as well to maybe get longer life out of it.
Synthetic or not its good to change the oil every 100,000 miles, or if you drive through high water. I had a broken vent tube on my '01 sport that was letting water and dirt get in.

Unless you plan to open the differential every year or two, just go with synthetic :thumbsup:

It's code 46 which is a 3:73 open. I would use synthetic but not if I don't have to. I haven't worked in a while and I'll probably sell it before it's time to change it again. Would this rear end only require standard fluid?

I just took it somewhere to get changed since I found out it was non synthetic in it. The didn't use a gasket when they put it back together, they used the stuff in a tube. Just wondered if they should have used a rubber or cork gasket instead?

I just took it somewhere to get changed since I found out it was non synthetic in it. The didn't use a gasket when they put it back together, they used the stuff in a tube. Just wondered if they should have used a rubber or cork gasket instead?

I believe the silicone sealant is standard.

Probably that RTV liquid gasket stuff. You're fine.

No gasket; uses RTV instead. Your OK.

Back