• Register Today It's free!

Changing front Brakes, any tips?

drhoward

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Hey I am doing my front pads and rotors on my 93, I have the haynes manual and it looks fairly straight forward, but I figured I would ask on here if anyone has any tips

It is 4x4 and has auto locking hubs

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:
Kev

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey I am doing my front pads and rotors on my 93, I have the haynes manual and it looks fairly straight forward, but I figured I would ask on here if anyone has any tips

It is 4x4 and has auto locking hubs

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:
Kev

make sure you grease the bearings properly if you hve them (not sure about 4x4), and also make sure that they're seated and all properly as well.

if they're the cheapo rotors and pads, take 'em back and get the good stuff. cheap rotors and pads wear and warp pretty quickly. i know.

also, LET IT COOL!, i was a dumbass and did it RIGHT after driving about 30 miles, i still have the burn scars.

good luck!

There is a how to thread on replacing the rotors somewhere on this site. You should take a look at that, it's very helpful.

I recommend replacing the slide pins while you're doing the pads and rotors.

Also, although it may be tempting, don't grease the auto hubs. No more than a light coat of grease on the spline (to protect from rust) is necessary. Too much grease will clog the cams and prevent the hubs from working properly.

One last thing. This was already posted by another member but I thought it was a good tip so I will repeat it. It's a good idea to open the caliper bleed screws before you push the piston back in. This prevents the dirty fluid that's in the calipers from damaging the ABS pump.

yah, i forgot about the screws. i read that AFTER i did my brakes. lol. good luck, it's not to hard, just a process you have to do once in a while. the more you do it, the easier it'll be. i can change my brakes out in about 20-25 minutes once i have it on stands for both sides

the rotors are 40 lbs a piece, dont drop them on your toes.

Back