Changing HVAC controls from 2015 to 2016+ ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing HVAC controls from 2015 to 2016+ ?

ecoboost_xsport

Mad Scientist
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orangevale, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Anybody done this? I really hate my 2015 Sony HVAC controls. I have made the switch to Sync 3 already but it got me thinking about the actual controls. I looked at photos online and they both have one connector to it, but tehy have differenet shapes. Would it need a corresponding climate module? which sits underneath the CDM

Or is it more involved than that? I know it will physically go in (at least I'm pretty sure it will), but wondering if anybody has done this mod.

Want to go from:
s-l1600.jpg

To this:
s-l1600b.jpg

I prefer the tactile feel of buttons and knobs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wiring harness is different. I don't have the shop manual so I can't tell you if the pin outs changed as well.

That is from the XLT trim, 2016-2019 models when equipped with the 8" center display.
Thanks omar. I guess that is why I've never seen it before. I guess it would be easy to change if no wiring changes were needed.

Peter

The wiring harness is different. I don't have the shop manual so I can't tell you if the pin outs changed as well.

I've got the shop manual with wiring. That part is easy enough to figure out. I was more curious about seeing if something was required to be changed with FORSCAN, if I need a matching climate module or if it's simply rewiring the connector (I'm a wire harness guy so I can do that easy enough).

Just seeing if anyone's tried this already before I try to reinvent the wheel...

That is from the XLT trim, 2016-2019 models when equipped with the 8" center display.

Yes, I'm aware...hence my thread title.

My question was...has anyone tried to this swap over yet? If not, no biggie as I don't have any issues being the ginuea pig, just putting feelers out there before I make mistakes that someone has already made.

Thank you.

I have tried to do this going from a 15' Sony FCIM to the 17' Sony FCIM. The plug is different but the wires are the same. The 15 FCIM uses the ICAN network on CGEA 1.2 and the 17' uses the CGEA 1.3 on the HS3 network. The same 5 wires will easily re-pin into the new 6 pin plug.

When I plugged it in it worked fine for the stereo and all the buttons worked as expected. I am using Sync 3 with 3.4 FYI. The problem seems to be with the HVAC. It will turn the fans on full and at the max temp. I have tried every climate setting I can on the APIM and HVAC modules with Forscan with no success.

At this point I would say no it will not work due to the HVAC. I have not given up on it yet though but would love some help! :)

Yeah, I was looking at the newer CGEA and also wasn't sure if any particular functionality would be lost. It seems you dug deeper into this than I have. I wouldn't have done much more than you as my expertise stops when I've exhausted Forscan changes. So beyond that, I'd be at a loss as to where to go next. I guess I could put an oscope on it, but I'd need to see a 2017 as well to compare, but don't have easy access.

Tbh, this mod has moved pretty far down on my priority list, but I'd be open to entertaining it again if it got figured out.

Next weekend I am going to add a Gateway module and see if I can get it to talk to the HVAC module. I have added the Gateway before and everything worked fine except the APIM had a fit due to the settings not being updated so I canned that experiment for a bit. I really want this FCIM thing to work so once I have finished a few other things I am gonna hit it a little harder. At this point it's just the HVAC that is the problem.

Next weekend I am going to add a Gateway module and see if I can get it to talk to the HVAC module. I have added the Gateway before and everything worked fine except the APIM had a fit due to the settings not being updated so I canned that experiment for a bit. I really want this FCIM thing to work so once I have finished a few other things I am gonna hit it a little harder. At this point it's just the HVAC that is the problem.
Any update on this? Looking to upgrade as well since my forward touch button for the radio quit working and going to physical buttons would please me as well.

Well I partially converted my 15 to a CEGA 1.3 network to see if the FCIM would talk to the HVAC. While most everything worked fine the FCIM did not so I am left thinking it has something to do with the HVAC module. I plan to see about getting an HVAC module out of a 16+ but I don't really want to do that because they removed the Ambient lighting out of them and put it in the BCM. If I find one I am going to try that to see it if works. So sadly still no solution on the HVAC part of it. But again everything else works fine with it.

On a side note though I did get a TCU module partially working on a CEGA 1.2 network in a 15 Explorer. :)

So a follow up to this since I have not had a chance to work on it or research it. Figured I would put my findings out here for those wanting to do this. Changing an 11-15 Explorer FCIM to the 16-19 FCIM can partially be done. The audio will work fine as the control path between the years is unchanged. HVAC is a bit different.

The HVAC control signals on the 11-15 is sent from the FCIM on the ICAN bus to the IPC. From there it sends the signals to the BCM on the HS Bus. The BCM than sends the signal to the HVAC module on the MS Can.

The 16-19 sends the HVAC signals from the FCIM to the GWM on the Ican. The GWM than sends the signal to the HVAC module on the MS can.

As you can see the newer FCIM has a different path for the HVAC signal, and this is why it will not work. So, the Answer is that it will work partially but overall, it will not work. If you make this change your HVAC fan will be stuck on high and full heat all the time because it is not communicating and is in default mode.

Seems the only solution is for someone to Can Bus sniff the 11-15 FCIM signals and make an adapter that plugs into the 16-19 FCIM so they can talk. I am not smart enough to do this but if someone knows how I am sure there is a small market out there for this adapter.

Yeah, I was looking at the newer CGEA and also wasn't sure if any particular functionality would be lost. It seems you dug deeper into this than I have. I wouldn't have done much more than you as my expertise stops when I've exhausted Forscan changes. So beyond that, I'd be at a loss as to where to go next. I guess I could put an oscope on it, but I'd need to see a 2017 as well to compare, but don't have easy access.

Tbh, this mod has moved pretty far down on my priority list, but I'd be open to entertaining it again if it got figured out.
Any updates on this? Looking to upgrade from the 4.6 system to a sony screen w/ android auto but I cant do that because there is no cutout for an 8in screen in that head unit. Cant use the OEM sony system from 12-15 models because I wouldnt have full control of the climate due to Fords absolute bullshi Sync crap... I hate sync with a passion...

Any updates on this? Looking to upgrade from the 4.6 system to a sony screen w/ android auto but I cant do that because there is no cutout for an 8in screen in that head unit. Cant use the OEM sony system from 12-15 models because I wouldnt have full control of the climate due to Fords absolute bullshi Sync crap... I hate sync with a passion...
Assuming you use a maestro RR and idatalink capable head unit with a 11-15 control panel it should function exactly like a stock sync 2 11-15 would (touch screen will have any controls not duplicated on the FCIM control panel) you will likely have to do the same wiring swaps as a 4" to 8" sync conversion as well though.

Assuming you use a maestro RR and idatalink capable head unit with a 11-15 control panel it should function exactly like a stock sync 2 11-15 would (touch screen will have any controls not duplicated on the FCIM control panel) you will likely have to do the same wiring swaps as a 4" to 8" sync conversion as well though.
If I wanted to use fords sync 2 system that would probably be doable. But I consider that a downgrade because I wouldn't have physical climate control OR android auto. Sync 2 and 3 is just as useless to me as the 4in system... actually its worse in my opinion.

What want to do is use this head unit panel with this receiver. I dont know why Ford has to use all this proprietary stuff...

If I wanted to use fords sync 2 system that would probably be doable. But I consider that a downgrade because I wouldn't have physical climate control OR android auto. Sync 2 and 3 is just as useless to me as the 4in system... actually its worse in my opinion.

What want to do is use this head unit panel with this receiver. I dont know why Ford has to use all this proprietary stuff...
If you use the controls with idatalink they will work…. You just get an 8” sync to double din adapter, maestro rr and idatalink head unit, everything works and you have the aftermarket radio you want you just need to use the correct year control panel so it can control the hvac system.

Back