Changing maplights in overhead console to leds. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

Changing maplights in overhead console to leds.

Bradhenry1957

2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SHELTON,Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
I've searched and searched for this thread but must be doing something wrong..so here's my problem. I have a 2006 Eddie Bauer overhead console with the rear a/c..I've seen a video on YouTube about swapping the oem maplight bulbs to leds..but that vehicle didn't have the a/c there..can anyone guide me in the right direction?..All of my interior lighting has been swapped to red leds. And it just looks funky to have the front light and maplights oem

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
You mean that since you have the A/C controls, there is no access (to screws that would be there if it didn't have them)? The console is just clipped on, takes a bit of force to remove. Some people use trim/panel removal tools.

Bradhenry1957

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SHELTON,Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
Right, I can't access the screws...but are you saying if I force it I would finally have access?

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
If you have the A/C controls then you don't have the screws, then they had to instead use clips so you have to carefully, pry off the console.

As with anything that's aged plastic, you cross your fingers and hope you were as gentle as possible.... I wouldn't even try this in the cold of winter when the plastic is brittle but now that summer is here... it's your call.

Bradhenry1957

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SHELTON,Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
Oh that's good news,and I do indeed have the plastic trim removal tools...thankyou for responding..I'll let you know the outcome