Changing my Explorer into a 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing my Explorer into a 4WD

youngstew

Reaction score
I need some info about changing my Explorer into a 4WD. I have a 98 5L V8. It's a great SUV but I want to upgrade it for off-road.
Any ideas about where I can have it done and the costs involved would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Stew

Hey Stew. The 4 wheel drive Explorer and 2 whee ldrive are two totally different beasts. The cost of performing this delicate operation on a 98 no less would far outweigh saving up money to but a 4 wheel drive version and selling you 2 wheel drive. I'm not trying to sound like a butt or anything, but you would literraly have to replace the entire drive train, but all the parts from the dealership to install the transmission mount, but a transfer case $$$$ and a lot of extras that would start adding up to the actual cost of your current truck. Plus, if you aren't going to install and fabricate all of this yourself... Wow! What a price! Seriously, save up and trade in when you can afford it. Lot of luck.

I just noticed in my last reply that I can't spell worth a crap! Must be all the coffee I'm drinking! Sorry about that Stew. I hope you can figure my mess. Take care.

Back