Changing my oil :) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Changing my oil :)

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ranger
Mobil 1 and K&N are the best filters (they're very similar inside) but pricey, the best filter for the money is Motorcraft. Are there Wal-Marts in Canada? They should have Motorcraft, at least they do here. If not, check some parts stores and see if you can find a Purolator PureONE. Very good filter if you don't want to spend $11 (or more in Canada) on the Mobil 1 or K&N.
Motomaster should be fine as long as it isn't a relabeled Fram. Cut one open, if it has cardboard endcaps instead of steel, it's really a Fram.

*The Autolite filters showing up at Wal-Mart are really Frams.

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Mobil 1 and K&N are the best filters (they're very similar inside) but pricey, the best filter for the money is Motorcraft.

Hang on we're going to confuse him. We're mixing oil filters in two different categories. If you're doing conventional oil and 5,000 mile oil changes Motorcraft is the best filter for the money. However if you're using Synthetic oil and doing extended oil changes you can't use a Motorcraft filter. It won't go for 12,000 miles like a Mobil 1, K&N or Amsoil filter will.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ranger
how much does a UOA go for?
I use Blackstone Labs, UOA is $20 plus an extra $10 if you want a TBN (Total Base Number). I just do the basic $20 deal. They will send you collection bottles for free, you send one back with some old oil, the data sheet, and a check. In about two weeks they'll snail-mail or email your results.

www.blackstone-labs.com

Lessons learned: The 4.0 SOHC puts out a lot of iron and Mobil 1 is about the only way to minimize it. Also the 3.0 in my wife's Taurus does just as well on Motorcraft blend as it does Mobil 1 and the M'craft costs half as much. I run all oils 5000 miles even though they say I can go longer. If you look at the forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com, people post their UOA's, so you can get an idea of how certain engines do on certain oils. Your results may differ.

dynamite196

Reaction score
City, State
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
Good to know! for twenty bucks I think i'll give it a shot. it'll be interesting to see if what i think is the same as what's actually happening

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
If you're going to do the extended oil change you will need to do the extra $10 Total Base number test. That's what tells you if your oil is holding up and still have enough of the proper additives to run it that long.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Lessons learned: The 4.0 SOHC puts out a lot of iron and Mobil 1 is about the only way to minimize it. Also the 3.0 in my wife's Taurus does just as well on Motorcraft blend as it does Mobil 1 and the M'craft costs half as much. I run all oils 5000 miles even though they say I can go longer. If you look at the forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com, people post their UOA's, so you can get an idea of how certain engines do on certain oils. Your results may differ.

I've not seen this with my Amsoil UOAs.

badwolf007

Reaction score
City, State
pITTSBURGH,pA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 EXPLORER SPORT
what'd He say?

Color is no indicator of oil life expectancy. The ONLY way to tell is via UOA.
Perhaps I'm having a senile moment but what the hell is UOA?:confused:

Used Oil Analysis ( UOA ).

Minivek

Reaction score
City, State
Quebec, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Limited Ex silver
Used Oil Analysis

Minivek

Reaction score
City, State