Changing my oil :)

fordexplorerdude97

Reaction score
City, State
Newtown, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT
Hey guys,

I'm probably going to change my oil today or tomorrow, I got Mobil 1 5W-30 and a MotoMaster oil filter, the oil is 4.4 Liters. Should I use all all of it? if not how much?

Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow

What engine does your 97 have? its either the 4.0L OHV, the 4.0L SOHC or the V8

The owners manual should tell you how much oil your engine requires, and yes you should use as much as they require, usually 5 quarts

I have never heard of motomaster oil filters :)

I have never heard of motomaster oil filters :)

"Motomaster" is a house brand of a large Canadian retailer called "Canadian Tire" (affectionately called "Crappy Tire" up here). I'd be surprised if any of their product was available south of the border. To the best of my knowledge, Canadian Tire only sells up here.

it's probably going to require 5 quarts

Should hold 5 quarts.

I would get a better oil filter ( such as Mobil 1 or Amsoil ).

4.4 litre = 4.64 quarts according to my convert program so you may even need more! :)
Where did you buy 4.4 liters of oil? should come is a 5 quart jug or in seperate quarts

sorry guys, I'm a total idiot, I forgot to say about my my car its a 97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC, and yea I got the filter from Canadian tire, is it really that bad, should I go change it?

sorry guys, I'm a total idiot, I forgot to say about my my car its a 97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC, and yea I got the filter from Canadian tire, is it really that bad, should I go change it?

I doubt Motomaster is that bad unless it's made by Fram (which is possible since Crappy Tire sells a lot of Fram stuff). There is a longstanding debate about whether Fram makes decent filters. I've read a LOT of negative press on Fram filters on a lot of different forums. Where there's smoke, there's fire. I do know that CT carries K&N oil filters as well which are high quality.

I see you're in Connecticut. Where are you getting Canadian Tire stuff?

I use Amsoil all around. Try the application guide at Amsoil.com. They list capacities of most vehicles there even if you don't want to use Amsoil products.

If you are going to use Mobil 1 I would get a high quality oil fiter such as Amsoil, Mobil 1, K&N and run an extended oil change at least 10,000 miles. I would run it 10,000 miles the first time and have your oil tested and make sure all is well and it's in good condition. If it is you can run it even longer. If you are going to go a normal oil change interval I would use regular dino oil as synthetic in that case would be a waste of money.

Thanks guys,

I'm just here in Canada for a while, and I probably will go and change the oil filter, and for the 10000 Mileage, as long as the oil remains yellow, would it be ok or should I just change like every 5000 Miles?

If you use Mobil 1 and a high quality filter you will ok for 10,000 miles unless you have significant engine problems like a lot of coolant leaking into the oil or something like that. Just because oil is dark doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. After the 10,000 with a Synthetic oil it will be dark but still probably good. That's why you should test your oil when doing extended oil change intervals because you can't tell looking at it. Do go 10,000 on conventional oil though. If you use conventional change it every 5,000.

If you use Mobil 1 and a high quality filter you will ok for 10,000 miles unless you have significant engine problems like a lot of coolant leaking into the oil or something like that. Just because oil is dark doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. After the 10,000 with a Synthetic oil it will be dark but still probably good. That's why you should test your oil when doing extended oil change intervals because you can't tell looking at it. Do go 10,000 on conventional oil though. If you use conventional change it every 5,000.

I see, but how will I know if the oil is still good? do I have to take it somewhere so they can check?

Thanks

you can get a fairly good idea by looking at the dipstick, check it every 1000 miles or so and u'll know more or less when it starts getting bad.

you can get a fairly good idea by looking at the dipstick, check it every 1000 miles or so and u'll know more or less when it starts getting bad.

Physical appearance of oil is NOT a reliable indicator of its life span.

looking at it isn't the best way however it works

looking at it isn't the best way however it works

Only if it's a bad problem. I have a very small coolant leak into my oil. Enough that if I run the oil more than 10,000 miles it starts to produce excess engine wear. But there is no visible indicator that there is coolant in the oil at all. I would have never known it had I not done the UOA.

Thanks guys,

I'm just here in Canada for a while, and I probably will go and change the oil filter, and for the 10000 Mileage, as long as the oil remains yellow, would it be ok or should I just change like every 5000 Miles?

Color is no indicator of oil life expectancy. The ONLY way to tell is via UOA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try to get a Mobil 1 oil filter. If not and you must change it now, just put that MotoMaster in with some dino oil until you get back here then change out the oil and filter.

Back