Changing my oil :) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing my oil :)

Mobil 1 and K&N are the best filters (they're very similar inside) but pricey, the best filter for the money is Motorcraft. Are there Wal-Marts in Canada? They should have Motorcraft, at least they do here. If not, check some parts stores and see if you can find a Purolator PureONE. Very good filter if you don't want to spend $11 (or more in Canada) on the Mobil 1 or K&N.
Motomaster should be fine as long as it isn't a relabeled Fram. Cut one open, if it has cardboard endcaps instead of steel, it's really a Fram.

*The Autolite filters showing up at Wal-Mart are really Frams.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mobil 1 and K&N are the best filters (they're very similar inside) but pricey, the best filter for the money is Motorcraft.

Hang on we're going to confuse him. We're mixing oil filters in two different categories. If you're doing conventional oil and 5,000 mile oil changes Motorcraft is the best filter for the money. However if you're using Synthetic oil and doing extended oil changes you can't use a Motorcraft filter. It won't go for 12,000 miles like a Mobil 1, K&N or Amsoil filter will.

how much does a UOA go for?
I use Blackstone Labs, UOA is $20 plus an extra $10 if you want a TBN (Total Base Number). I just do the basic $20 deal. They will send you collection bottles for free, you send one back with some old oil, the data sheet, and a check. In about two weeks they'll snail-mail or email your results.

www.blackstone-labs.com

Lessons learned: The 4.0 SOHC puts out a lot of iron and Mobil 1 is about the only way to minimize it. Also the 3.0 in my wife's Taurus does just as well on Motorcraft blend as it does Mobil 1 and the M'craft costs half as much. I run all oils 5000 miles even though they say I can go longer. If you look at the forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com, people post their UOA's, so you can get an idea of how certain engines do on certain oils. Your results may differ.

Good to know! for twenty bucks I think i'll give it a shot. it'll be interesting to see if what i think is the same as what's actually happening

If you're going to do the extended oil change you will need to do the extra $10 Total Base number test. That's what tells you if your oil is holding up and still have enough of the proper additives to run it that long.

Lessons learned: The 4.0 SOHC puts out a lot of iron and Mobil 1 is about the only way to minimize it. Also the 3.0 in my wife's Taurus does just as well on Motorcraft blend as it does Mobil 1 and the M'craft costs half as much. I run all oils 5000 miles even though they say I can go longer. If you look at the forums at www.bobistheoilguy.com, people post their UOA's, so you can get an idea of how certain engines do on certain oils. Your results may differ.

I've not seen this with my Amsoil UOAs.

what'd He say?

Color is no indicator of oil life expectancy. The ONLY way to tell is via UOA.
Perhaps I'm having a senile moment but what the hell is UOA?:confused:

Used Oil Analysis ( UOA ).

Used Oil Analysis

beat me to it :salute:

Back