• Register Today It's free!

Changing Out Front/Rear Emblems

BradleyFord

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Base 4WD
I saw some posts while looking around where people blacked out their emblems on the front and back. I figured out that I didn't want an overlay or do plasti dip. I purchased the emblems from this guy on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/usr/joe1966fairlane Today they arrived and it wasn't raining so it was install time!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

The rear emblem took me only 5 min to complete. I used an x-acto knife to cut away at the adhesive on the edges all the way around. Once that was done I used a flat blade screwdriver to evenly pry it off all the way around, eventually enough was loosened that I could just pop it off. There were two locking pins and two non locking pins holding it in place. The pop at the end was the locking pins coming out. Used a cloth to rub and roll up the remaining tape on the car and then cleaned with rubbing alcohol, then applied new emblem.

Next came the front emblem. I had looked at two other posts that talked about how to do it, these ones: Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer! and Removal of the front and rear ford emblem. Neither of these had photos show how it was done, only explanations. I took the top of the grill off by removing the 7 bolts and the 2 push pins. I was planning on pulling back a little on the grill and unscrewing the emblem but it was very difficult, especially by myself. I discovered that the socket that I had was not deep enough to unscrew the weird bold used on the plastic screws on the back of the emblem so I was stuck and I cut the top of my hand reaching in and out. All this took me 30 min of trying to mess with it and no progress.

Red bolts, green push pins

007.jpg

Picture of the back of the emblem and the weird nut holding it in place.

008.jpg

I finally got really frustrated and almost decided to just take my drill to it and take it off in pieces. Before that drastic step I tried to see if I could pry it off by inserting something between the black plastic and the emblem. I discovered on the bottom in the middle right under the 'r' in Ford there is a little notch.

Here I was able to put a little tool in and pull it out enough to get a flat head screwdriver in and then wedge it off. Again I did it all around the emblem to evenly pull it off. I got it off about a half inch from the black plastic it was secured to and it stopped. I didn't want to pry any further an risk hurting the plastic so I took a small clipper tool I had and just clipped the plastic screws that were attached to the nut, emblem came right off. The nut just fell off and onto the ground. Quick clean with rubbing alcohol and then applied new logo. If I had just done this to start instead of removing the top of the grill it would only have taken my 5 min and I wouldn't have needed to open the hood.

009.jpg

I couldn't find any videos or photos so I made this hoping it would help someone do this too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks awesome! I was actually looking at those exact same replacement badges last night. How is the quality? Dow it look like they will last?

That looks awesome! I was actually looking at those exact same replacement badges last night. How is the quality? Dow it look like they will last?
When I purchased these I thought they looked very high quality and all his feedback on eBay was positive. When I actually received them they were better than I had expected. They look and feel very high quality, I would say even more so than the emblems that came on my vehicle, even though his are OEM emblems that he just paints. I would assume they would last just as long if not longer than the ones that my car came with, only time will tell with that though.

Last 3 images:

Photo%20Mar%2016%2C%204%2032%2005%20PM%20%281%29.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2016%2C%204%2035%2002%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Mar%2016%2C%204%2035%2019%20PM%20%281%29.jpg
So how did you attach the new plate without removing the grill and attaching to new bolt/nut? Or did you just glue it....

And thanks for the great description and pics!

So how did you attach the new plate without removing the grill and attaching to new bolt/nut? Or did you just glue it....

And thanks for the great description and pics!
The black emblems I purchased from eBay came with 3M adhesive already on them. Peel and stick, really strong.

Nice job with the how to! I will caution you though, even though that seller has 100% feedback, he has had many isues with the paint chipping. I belong to a F150 forum, and there is a professional painter over there that has had to repaint several of that sellers emblems. JUst keep a close eye on them. Anyway, they look great and I appreciate your pictures as I will be doing the same with mine, just platinum and chrome.

This helped a lot thanks. You are correct that's the best way to remove the emblem by wedging it and cutting the plastic clips I ordered both bolt on front and adhesive I didn't bother with the bolt on the stick on is very strong.

This helped a lot thanks. You are correct that's the best way to remove the emblem by wedging it and cutting the plastic clips I ordered both bolt on front and adhesive I didn't bother with the bolt on the stick on is very strong.
Glad this helped you out!

Nice job with the how to! I will caution you though, even though that seller has 100% feedback, he has had many isues with the paint chipping. I belong to a F150 forum, and there is a professional painter over there that has had to repaint several of that sellers emblems. JUst keep a close eye on them. Anyway, they look great and I appreciate your pictures as I will be doing the same with mine, just platinum and chrome.
Yeah been watching them but so far after being on for two months they still look like new (when clean).

@Summers22 was just looking today and I noticed three spots where the paint is chipping along an edge. I reached out to the seller on eBay just to see what he says about it, no reply yet. I may have to figure out a way to fix it myself it it continues or gets worse.
emblemchip.jpg

Yep, same thing I have seen numerous times.He doesnt use a good adhesion promoter and has issues.

I hope it's not made in China.
No, he said he makes it himself. If I recall right I think it was mailed to me from TN, but I got a lot of stuff that week so I could be wrong. It's an OEM ford emblem that he paints. I think I'll just get some touch up paint and use that, if it gets worse I'd want to get a new one but not sure were to get one as he's the only guy I've see that makes them the half gloss/matte.

No, he said he makes it himself. If I recall right I think it was mailed to me from TN, but I got a lot of stuff that week so I could be wrong. It's an OEM ford emblem that he paints. I think I'll just get some touch up paint and use that, if it gets worse I'd want to get a new one but not sure were to get one as he's the only guy I've see that makes them the half gloss/matte.
Have you tried a black magic marker? I've used them for touchups on several things.

Peter

Have you tried a black magic marker? I've used them for touchups on several things.

Yes, I took a black sharpie to it. You will never know unless you're face to face with the emblem. Chips are so small it's really no big deal. If it gets worse or something big chips off I may look to replace the entire emblem.

I installed my Black on Red letter Ford emblems from "Etsy" sales on E-Bay today. The front OEM blue on chrome emblem was a real PITA to remove. After taking off the kids gloves after 30 minutes of hand massaging/trying to get the OEM emblem off with no success I decided to take an extended Stanley Flat Head driver and a Dead Blow Hammer out, break both the OEM pins and nuts off and gingerly pry the emblem off with a drywall finishing knife wedged between the grill and the emblem. It came off rather easily after that. I cleaned with Iso Alcohol and installed the new 9" Black and Red Oval with it's pins and sticky sided tape... It's NOT going anywhere! Next up, removal of the rear 7" OEM blue/silver oval. It was a 40 minute process of prying and wedging with the finishing knife and flat driver. Then another 20 minutes of soaking, scraping, and finger nailing with Goo Gone to get the OEM adhesive that was kinda gunked on, off. It all came off though and then I put the double sided tape Red/Black 7" Emblem on. It's on there too and isn't coming off! Lastly was the EcoBoost matching emblem removal/install that was much easier. I Plasti-Dipped the "Sport" badge in black with Red accents months ago. The 15' "Sport" looks like it should have finally, no goofy chrome anywhere! Ford took the time to black out the rim/wheel pockets, grill, window trim, windows, ground effects/body trim, "Explorer Lettering" on the hood, etc... and then put chrome/polished EcoBoost, Sport, and Oval badges all over... Blacked out badges/emblems should have been part of the package scheme to begin with but I digress. My "Sport" looks right now and I'm glad I did the replacement Ebay badges from the vendor "Etsy" instead of overlays. I'm at 35K miles so the OEM 36K warranty is up soon. Next up is the "Tune" that this high performing engine/tranny combo should have left the factory with as well...

^^^ You know members are going to want to see pictures.;)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^^ You know members are going to want to see pictures.;)

Peter

I know... and it looks really good too! However, something is wrong with my home laptop. Every time I try to download an email with my pics it freezes up and I have to restart it. Its really irritating. I'll have to take pics with my video camera, plug it in the computer, and download em' that way. But you're right, I need to do the right thing and post pics because I'm getting people asking me at stop lights where I got those emblems and who put them on!

Back