Changing rims. Have a question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing rims. Have a question

Frank169

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer xlt 4.0
Hi, this question is for anyone that has changed their rims. I bought a set of cragar d window rims for my explorer. I want to put new tires on these rims and keep my other rims and tires together so that I have two sets of wheels. My question is regarding the tire pressure monitoring system. If i don't put tpms sensors in the new rim/tire combo, will the cars computer throw a code? i don't really want to spend the extra money to buy new sensors. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I've gathered, you'll get a TPMS light (low tire pressure warning light), but that's about it - Never tried it personally though.

I have tried this and yes, the TPMS light will remain illuminated till it can connect with sensors again.
I shopped around for a shop that would get me a good price on the sensors and bands. If memory serves, I got them for $60cdn each.

Every time you fire it up you will get the low tire pressure warning on the display. Orange electric sells stem style sensors for around 20 bucks each on ebay and amazon. thats what I threw on mine. Another 25 for the programmer.

Thanks for all of the responses. I really don't wanna buy these but i guess I'm going to have to. By the way, i don't think that we should need a sensor to tell us if our tire is low.

Back