Changing Shocks, Lower Mount Nut Size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Shocks, Lower Mount Nut Size

G

geoph1986

I have decided to change the shocks on my X, and it should be straight forward. However, I don't have a socket or wrench (I should but I can't seem to find one) that fits the front lower shock nut. I read somewhere that it's a 19mm, but on mine it isn't. What size is that nut? Also, I was wondering if anyone knows if there are pick up (1/2 or 3/4 ton) shocks that would fit in the rear. My X sometimes gets loaded with quite a bit of weight in the rear, and the Gabriels that I used just couldn't handle the weight for long before they started leaking. Thanks in advance for any and all help/input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I "think" 18mm is what that nut is "stock"..

If the lower shock mount has been broken and someone replaced it with the kit from Dorman (Help section at the auto parts store) then it becomes a more standard size (I can't remember what size it is either. I'm slept since I last worked on that)

~Mark

wow.. I don't remember it being that big.. I could have sworn that was where I had to use my 18mm spark plug socket.

I still have one factory nut on the front on our X. I"ll try to check it tonight if no one else has said what size it is.

~Mark

The factory nut on both our '92 and the neighbors '91 are 18mm. My 18mm is a 12point (both sockets I have) but it does't look like it matters..

The factory nut has a built in washer, and its kinda cupped.

~Mark

Thanks for that Maniak. I guess I'll go buy a cheap caliper, measure, then go buy a socket. Thanks again.

So what size is the top nut?

Back