• Register Today It's free!

Changing Spark Plugs '02 4.6L V8

DavidS

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer
I need to change the spark plugs on my '02 Explorer 4.6L V8. Today I removed the engine cover and noticed that nothing looked like on older vehicles I've worked on years ago such as plug wires, plug boots & etc. Can someone walk me through the process? The whole issue of the coil packs I'm not familiar with. Do the plugs need to be tightened to a specific torque? I ask this because my son's 4Runner does have the torque specified. If anyone also knows of an online tutorial with pictures that would also be great. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Plugs are good to 100k . I'll look it up for you...Yes torque them. Remove coil and remove plug. Anti sieze on threads I think...

Dick

Spark Plugs Removal and Installation

Remove the ignition coil-on-plugs. For additional information, refer to Ignition Coil-On-Plug in this section.
NOTE: Use compressed air to remove any foreign material from the spark plug well before removing the spark plugs.

Remove the spark plugs.
To install, tighten to 18 Nm (13 lb-ft).
Inspect the spark plugs and adjust the spark plug gap as necessary.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Ignition Coil-On-Plug

Material Item Specification
Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound
XG-3 ESE-M1C171-A

Removal and Installation

Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
Remove the bolts and the ignition coil-on-plugs.
To install, tighten to 6 Nm (53 lb-in).
NOTE: Apply dielectric compound to the inside of the coil boots before installation.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Coil over boot plug attachment

Just changed my plugs after 109,000 miles. Seems to have made a difference in performance. I just don't get how that little spring in the boot of the coil over plug can just sit on the top of the spark plug. I want it to snap onto it like a plug wire but pushing down on the coil doesn't give me that reassuring 'click'. Once I tighten the coil over unit down onto the maifold it's on good but can be jiggled if I push on it.

Is that normal? Just wanted to make sure I did this right.

Back