Changing spark plugs

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Ok, you guys are going to have to bear with me here because I know little about changing the spark plugs. I have a few questions. First, I see the 6 wires going to 6 spark plugs on my OHV, are there any more than that? I've been reading that two are down below close to the firewall or something, that true? Also, do I have to worry about the gap on each spark plug?

Also, recommendations on which plugs are the best quality would be great. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume your X has a V6? If so there are only the 6 wires. The plugs can be a pain to change, but they are not that hard. Getting to the passenger side plugs is the hardest part, but if you use the gap between the inner fender well and the frame to remove the two pulgs (#2 & #3) that are most difficult to access it makes the job a lot easier. As for spark plugs, the BEST plug you can buy is the OEM Motorcraft plug (stright from your local Ford dealer). Don't belive any of the hype about brand x plugs giving you any more power or better performance. If you stick with the plug that Ford paid several of their top engineers to determine to be the most efficiant plug for the application, you know you are using the right part. To answer the question on gap, the under hood sticker has the spark plug gap listed on it (usually .42-.46 on most Fords, but look at the sticker to be sure). You will want the plugh to be gapped within this spec, but they don't all have to be exactly the same (as long as they are within spec).

Yes OHV. Are there more than 6 plugs? Pic below, so there are two more besides these 6?

Attachments

• s_plugs.jpg
    s_plugs.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,363

Nope, only 6...good luck!

Ok so it looks like it'd be pretty damn easy to change these out. What was MrBoyle talking about then?! :confused:

Also, what tool do you use to measure the gap? Will the new Motorcraft plugs already come gapped properly?

looks like we need to send Hartman out to buy a Haynes manual from his local auto parts store, get one of these manuals for your year explorer and it will have alot of the answers you are looking for right in it, also has good pics of most things :)

Oh yeah! I do have a Haynes manual. Sorry I was totally oblivious to that. :confused:

hehe, every car I have owned has had a haynes manual that lives in it :) (course my X now has 2 manuals now the '93 explorer and '93 mustang)
saved me alot of cussing many of times

Your gap sould be set at around 54 on your guage. Heard some say around 56 and that worked good for me. The passenger rear plugs are a bear even going through the wheelwell, especially if you have big hands. I have the battle scars to prove it, but it is doable. Be very careful not to pull on the wires and break the wire from the boot. I didn't have that happen but can see that it would be very easy to do. Good luck.:eek:

Originally posted by Firedawgy
Your gap sould be set at around 54 on your guage. Heard some say around 56 and that worked good for me. The passenger rear plugs are a bear even going through the wheelwell, especially if you have big hands. I have the battle scars to prove it, but it is doable. Be very careful not to pull on the wires and break the wire from the boot. I didn't have that happen but can see that it would be very easy to do. Good luck.:eek:

Well, obviously I don't have the type of engine where two plugs are "hidden", they're all right there in plain view. At least that's what Savage Wolf says.

Maybe Savage Wolf likes to bleed all over his engine, has really small flexable hands and Stretch Armstrong arms to reach those back plugs. You can see them, kinda, but aint no way their coming out easily without heading through the wheelwell.

I don't see why everyone here thinks that changing the plugs is all that hard. I did mine with the wires in about an hour. Use Never Seize or similar on the plug threads and don't forget the spark plug boot grease. I did all mine from the top of the engine. Take of your airbox, it makes everything a lot easier. For the passenger side back two plugs you might need a swivel socket or a real short extention. I used a 1/2 inch drive ratchet with a 3/8 adapter. It was the only thing short enough to work. Good luck. Oh and you may want to buy some mechanics gloves.

If you stick with the plug that Ford paid several of their top engineers to determine to be the most efficiant plug for the application, you know you are using the right part
-Mr. Boyle
You mean the same highly paid engineers that build the biggest POS transmision ever known to man? Just because Ford built it doesn't mean it's worth a crap. If Ford really new how to build things correctly I wouldn't have to keep my fingers croossed for the AOD adapter. Its bad when u worry about a tranny with 30k on it.

Originally posted by Mbrooks420
-Mr. Boyle
You mean the same highly paid engineers that build the biggest POS transmision ever known to man? Just because Ford built it doesn't mean it's worth a crap. If Ford really new how to build things correctly I wouldn't have to keep my fingers croossed for the AOD adapter. Its bad when u worry about a tranny with 30k on it.

mmmm... a bit harsh, but I tend to agree.

Hartman, do a search on plugs. There are tons of threads and I remember a few that discuss proper and alternative gapping with different brands of plugs.

-RB

im totally confused hartman i could be wrong i also have the v-6 ohv but if im right what you are looking at isnt the spark plugs in my chiltons manual there are 3 plugs on each side of the engine there is a plug over each one of them and you will need a wobbly socket to be able to get them out at least with mine you do ....

lmao, I do have small hand, but I also changed my plugs from the top of the motor, I use a short flex head socket wrench and misc diffrent length extensions to get everything to reach/clear good, if I remember right there is a good 2-3 inches to work with on the pass side plugs where the heater box is, I dont remember off hand if thats really how much room there is though, last time I changed the plugs on the 4.0 OHV v6 it was on the engine stand next to the truck :p

Originally posted by Hartman

Well, obviously I don't have the type of engine where two plugs are "hidden", they're all right there in plain view. At least that's what Savage Wolf says.

Oh... btw I never said that also =p

Hartman, the pix you put up is of the coil pack, not of the spark plugs. Trace those 6 wires to where they end, and you will find your spark plugs. As for the difficulty of removing them, a lot of it depends upon hand size (mentioned above) and the # of extensions and wobbly adapters you have. For me, changing the plugs is a PITA because I have very large hands (Size 13 ring).

As for what plug is the best for you motor, you will find MANY arguments on here. Some people swear by the Splitfires and +4's and claim an increase in gas mileage/power from installing them. I think what they are seeing is the difference between worn out plugs and new plugs.

What it boils down to is that the engine is designed to use platinum plugs. IMHO, a set of standard platinums (No +4's or Splitfires) will work just fine. Just make sure they are gapped properly. Mrboyle is correct in his statement about the "brand X" hype. The Motorcrafts will work fine, as will the delco's, Champions, Bosch's etc. Just stick to regular platinums.

im confused just like hartman... what are you tlaking about plugs on the side of the engine? in the pic he posted there are 6 plugs right there, in plain site on top of the engine.... i have a feeling there is more to this that we arent getting. 6 plugs right there.... what are you guys talking about???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by COOLCHRISCUSH
im confused just like hartman... what are you tlaking about plugs on the side of the engine? in the pic he posted there are 6 plugs right there, in plain site on top of the engine.... i have a feeling there is more to this that we arent getting. 6 plugs right there.... what are you guys talking about???

See my post above yours. The pix is of the COIL PACK, not the spark plugs. The wires leading out of the coil pack are your spark plug wires. Follow them to the end and they plug into your spark plugs on the sides of the motor. There are 3 plugs on each side of the motor in the heads, just below the valve covers.

Back