Changing Stock 6 cd changer on my 95 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing Stock 6 cd changer on my 95 explorer

shibby6094

Reaction score
City, State
Toms River NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I'm changing my stock 6 cd changer unit in my 95 explorer to a new head unit. I bought a new wire harness that has two separate harnesses in it, one for the power and such, and the other for all the speakers. The one harness hooks in fine (the one for the power) but since its a6 cd changer the other harness for the speaker power connections doesn't fit. Is there a different harness i have to buy or is there a way to splice the pre existing harness to fit the one i bought? Please help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are installing an aftermarket head unit, your CD changer will no longer work, there will not be a plug in there to fit it. If you have the correct harness, you should have a long plug for the head unit, and a small square plug with the speaker wires. The changer harness will be dead and unplugged. Is the one you removed originally a JBL head unit? i.e. do you have a subwoofer in the back panel? If so, you may have the wrong harness...

Yea i think i have the wrong harness because it gave me two long harnesses one for the power, and one for the speakers but the speaker harness doesnt fit into the long one. The original head unit was a ford and i dont have a subwoofer in the back.

You may have a JBL harness... Where did you get it?

Got this one at walmart, but ive bought them from autozone and pepboys and they all dont fit. Is there a way to tell by looking at the harness to see if its the jbl one?

Post up the part number of what they gave you. I remember back when I put mine in, I had to hunt one down at a stereo installation shop, the big box stores didn't carry the right one. I think it was a Metra 70-5600. You want the one for Ford Premium Sound. Different from JBL...

I know a lot of people have had luck going to the Best Buy installation shop and getting one from them, they have the correct ones...

If you like, I can take a pic of my harness tonight when I get home so you can see the thing and the hookups...

Back