• Register Today It's free!

Changing Synthetic Oil

explorer82184

Reaction score
City, State
plano,tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
Ok so I started using synthetic oil about 3k miles ago and i am ready for my first change. I've been told that the synthetic oil will last a lot longer than 3k miles so I'm planning on only changing the filter unless you guys convinve me otherwise. My question is do I need to drain the oil first? then replace the filter? or will the oil not leak by removing the filter (except for what is in the filter)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to just change the filter, you don't need to drail all the oil,
simply remove the filter, and some oil will leak out..
put a new filter on
you will need to buy a qt of your syntheic to top off what you lost. but thats it

i just switched to syntheic the other day. when i do my first change iwth the syntheic i am going to do a complete change of oil and filter the first time, just for good measure. then i plan on doing it every 4,500 - 5k

goodluck

I change the filter every 3,000 with a full change every other time.

actually i seen a fram filter at wal mart the other day that supposed to last up to 7k miles, maybe look into that, i think its like $10.

i will probably use that one next time, $30 for an oil change that will last about 5k, not too bad

You should read this first..

Dead Link Removed

Snip
The FRAM x2 (and only the FRAM x2 Series) is probably the most heavily constructed filter I've seen so far. Though all of the Japanese made filters were of exceptional quality, the Fram x2 was as good in every way. Of note with the construction were the following features: metal screen backing the media, heavy metal end caps (all other Fram filters have cardboard), and 2 layer filter medium. Lab testing indicates this filter is fine at 5000 miles use with Mobil 1. As with all of the Fram filters and OEM Honda oil filters the x2 uses the standard spring loaded plastic by-pass valve that many people do not like. However, lab tests do not indicate that the valve jams or fails to work. It's possible that a hard enough impact at a sharp angle while the filter was by-passing might cause it to jam open, but I suspect the fluid within the filter would prevent this.
Endsnip

Sid

Originally posted by EliteConcept
actually i seen a fram filter at wal mart the other day that supposed to last up to 7k miles, maybe look into that, i think its like $10.

i will probably use that one next time, $30 for an oil change that will last about 5k, not too bad

Would I acheive any benefit from switching to syntetic oil? My '94 has 116K and has always used regular oil.

Amsoil oil will last for 25,000 miles. They guarantee it. Many people also report increased gas mileage.

Also, their filters will last for 12,500 miles while providing superior filtration.

Originally posted by explorer82184
I'm planning on only changing the filter unless you guys convinve me otherwise.

My opinion on oil changes is do it every 3000-4000 miles Take into account your driving habits. Very dusty, towing, city driving etc.

I have read the claims that synthetic oil will last up to 12k; I have a real problem with that claim, as it is a blanket statement.

I would use a Motorcraft filter and do a full oil change every 3-4 k. Even if you do not plan on keeping your car/truck over 100k. The next person to buy it will be getting a better-maintained auto. No one needs the possible expense's that could arise from neglect on simple and cheap maintenance items such as an oil change
Just my opinion...

Your best bet is to change the oil now (@ 3k), BUT save a sample (clean sample, and don't contaminate it)..

Then send that sample off to someone like "BlackStone" and have the oil checked.

Using the information they give you about your oil you will get an better idea of how your oil is doing, and how often you need to change it.

If they say the oil is marginal, then you need to keep changing it at 3k..

If they say it is fine, next time go 4 or 5k miles, and then check it.

Also, checking the oil is a way to find out if internals are starting to go.

~Mark

You are simply wasting money xhanging synthetic oil at 3k miles, If you must change something, let it be the filter ( ONLY ),

I wouldn't hiy a wild dog in the ass with a Fram filter.

Spend a couple of extra bucks and the the K&N OIL filter...... its a great thing!!

Re: Re: Changing Synthetic Oil

Originally posted by Sonny
My opinion on oil changes is do it every 3000-4000 miles Take into account your driving habits. Very dusty, towing, city driving etc.

why would dusty conditions have anything to do with oil changes, thats more of a air filter condition isnt' it?

I use mobil 1 since 18k miles. I change mine every 3000 miles. Some people told me to go further between oil changes, but I figure why worry. The parts store by me sells Mobil 1 for $4.00 a quart, and always have sales on fram filters (Just got one for $2). Plus I tend to drive my explorer like nascar, so that is the reason for me changing it so often.

Re: Re: Re: Changing Synthetic Oil

Originally posted by EliteConcept
why would dusty conditions have anything to do with oil changes, thats more of a air filter condition isnt' it?

Yes, but almost all manuals refer to "severe duty conditions" dust or sand is included. Some dirt does get by the air filter, very fine silica's (sp). I just like to be on the safe side. I do agree Syn. can be a overkill at 3k but it is a small price to pay for knowing I did all I could for extended engine life. :smoke:

Synthetic oil in older engine

I would recommend against switching to a 100% synthetic in an older vehicle. It is very hard to find reliable information on oil. What I understand is that synthetic has smaller "molecules" in it than normal oil. Normal oil also has varying size molecules vs sythetic having very uniform size. In an older engine you will have larger gaps between bearings and other oiled surfaces. When you pump presurized oil into those gaps it creates a presure wedge keeping metal on metal contact from occuring. Due to sythetic oil having smaller particles it can't maintain a "decent" wedge on a "looser" engine in the same way a normal oil can. Sythetics take longer to break down or become contaminated than normal oil. That is there main advantage. If you are a 3000 mile oil changer regular is fine. I probably will be trying a blend of syn and regular in my car soon. I think that might be the best of both worlds.

The blends have NO standards for the amount of synthetic in them. It is usually very small.

explorer82184 did you notice any difference when you switch from conventional oil to synthetics? Honestly now...

Re: Synthetic oil in older engine

Originally posted by chadb
It is very hard to find reliable information on oil.

This is a good source for info on oil and other lubes

The Oil Board

In particular, there is a forum where people post UOA (used oil analysis) for various brands and engines. You can compare how different oils perform over time.

I hesitate to give too many personal opinions about oil, because it is almost like debating about religion - it is difficult to change someone's opinion and very likely to result in a flame war.

However, with that in mind, if you are using synthetic oil and changing it on 3000 mile intervals, you are wasting money and you could save money by increasing the mileage between changes. Either that, or switch back to conventional oil and keep the 3k interval.

Back