Changing the exhaust tips on the ST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Changing the exhaust tips on the ST

hdzrt1ST

Reaction score
City, State
Phelan CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST
Thoughts? I ask because i live off a 2 mile dirt road in the high desert and with the exhaust pointing down it blows one heck of a lot of dirt up and onto the rear window and hatch every time we go down the dirt road, it is so bad i don't want to look at it while parked in garage. Not to mention it looks terrible driving it somewhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps its because I once had a car where you could see the road go past by looking through the rotted stick shift cover, but wouldn't exhaust venting under the car likely be more hazardous than shooting out the back (the way God intended it) even if it some of it, in theory, wafted against the rear of the vehicle?

according to Ford, it’s for soot buildup

So, in order to avoid "soot buildup," we pump exhaust underneath our vehicles?!?!

*extreme eye roll* Everybody meet back here in 15 years and we'll discuss how idiot this idea was.

So, in order to avoid "soot buildup," we pump exhaust underneath our vehicles?!?!

*extreme eye roll* Everybody meet back here in 15 years and we'll discuss how idiot this idea was.

To avoid soot build up on the visible part of the chrome tips and it seems to work. I'm not too worried about it, waiting for Borla to release a cat-back system anyway.

Yup... folks need to stop equating the 5th gen problem to why these tips are this way on teh 6th gen. This is strictly a soot prevention design. If there were exhaust infiltration issues pushing the exhaust out and down 2" before the tip would frankly do nothing... if anything it would enter the cabin more readily.

Yup... folks need to stop equating the 5th gen problem to why these tips are this way on teh 6th gen. This is strictly a soot prevention design. If there were exhaust infiltration issues pushing the exhaust out and down 2" before the tip would frankly do nothing... if anything it would enter the cabin more readily.

Then why did Ford do this as a fix to the exhaust issue with 5th gen (replaced their mufflers with this exact design)? And why did Ford put turn down tips on the PUIs? Ford can spin this however they want for PR but this was not done for exhaust tip dirt..

Bingo. Falls in line with several other vehicles with fake tips or no tips at all. I had no idea so many people complained about soot buildup on the back of their cars. Guess I'm one of the few that actually takes the time to wash their cars these days.
I have never noticed soot build up on the back of my vehicles. The 2011 was White Platinum, the 2014 MKT was Crystal Champagne (off white) and my current is White Gold. There are no threads in the 5th generation forum dealing with soot build up complaints on the back of the Explorers. Exhaust tips, yes.

Peter

Then why did Ford do this as a fix to the exhaust issue with 5th gen (replaced their mufflers with this exact design)? And why did Ford put turn down tips on the PUIs? Ford can spin this however they want for PR but this was not done for exhaust tip dirt..

Well the fix is not just the turn down tips, it also included replacing seals and other checks.

More importantly be logical about this. If this was strictly an exhaust tip issue, do you really think we would only see this on the Explorer? How many Ford SUVs exhaust exactly like this, out the rear? Also note, there is info stating the fix (turn down tips) is not actually fixing the problem in some cases. There have been issues of actual exhaust system joints leaking, no where near the tip.

Annnd the recall affected units was supposed to be 2011-2017 models, although they have had some complaints from 2018 owners that have yet to be substantiated. I mean we can be conspiracy theorist all we want. But if the infiltration problem was ONLY related to whether a exhaust tip pointed down under the vehicle vs. out the rear, how do you explain idling, sitting still not being a problem? The exhaust is going to shoot down and given its lighter then air and the vehicle is not moving... it's going to infiltrate into the cabin... again if the tip was the root of evil here.

Just asking folks to use some logic on this turn down tip thing, the cabin infiltration problem while maybe being helped by a turned down tip, has absolutely got to be more about design of sealed openings and possibly other joints in the exhaust system or again this problem would be present on WAY more vehicles Ford produces.

:oops: So much for my thinking it may have had to do with the "exhaust smell" issue. I stand corrected if this article is true. :(

2020 Ford Explorer ST's Exhaust Tips – Fake or Real?

Ford confirmed what we suspected all along: That it's a move to prevent soot buildup on the exhaust outlets. Modern direct-injection gasoline engines tend to gunk up their exhaust outlets with black soot, like a thick layer of brake dust. This is why many modern vehicles wear fake exhausts.

Peter

By the way, spoke to Borla today, they had a 2020 ST in the shop for fitment just last week. They should have a system ready to order in a moth or two.

To go back to the OP's issue, I don't think straight out the back exhaust tips will help much.
My '14 sport had exhaust straight out the back and when I drive on the dirt road to my in-laws' house, the back gets a good coating of dust on it.

You might get some dust blowing around from the exhaust turn downs if you are revving it at WOT, but I think under easy driving you'll get very little dust blowing around from the exhaust and most of what you are seeing is from driving down the road.

To go back to the OP's issue, I don't think straight out the back exhaust tips will help much.
My '14 sport had exhaust straight out the back and when I drive on the dirt road to my in-laws' house, the back gets a good coating of dust on it.

You might get some dust blowing around from the exhaust turn downs if you are revving it at WOT, but I think under easy driving you'll get very little dust blowing around from the exhaust and most of what you are seeing is from driving down the road.

Completely agree. While the exhaust blowing down into the dirt might move the dirt around a bit, I am guessing that a straight out pipe will not change the dynamics at hand.

Take the exhaust completely out of the picture, you see vehicles that drive down dirt roads with dirt caked all over the rear for the same reason we have drafting effects on Semis... using those funny wings etc. to disrupt the air that would normally flow around the back edges causing a venturi, vacuum type effect.

Look at all the cars driving around in the winter time in Anchorage.. where they put sand on the roads instead of salt. As the cars drive on the sand it pulverizes some, making a finer powder out of a lot of it. You see a TON of cars caked with dirt on the rear, side exhaust included.

Well the fix is not just the turn down tips, it also included replacing seals and other checks.

More importantly be logical about this. If this was strictly an exhaust tip issue, do you really think we would only see this on the Explorer? How many Ford SUVs exhaust exactly like this, out the rear? Also note, there is info stating the fix (turn down tips) is not actually fixing the problem in some cases. There have been issues of actual exhaust system joints leaking, no where near the tip.

Annnd the recall affected units was supposed to be 2011-2017 models, although they have had some complaints from 2018 owners that have yet to be substantiated. I mean we can be conspiracy theorist all we want. But if the infiltration problem was ONLY related to whether a exhaust tip pointed down under the vehicle vs. out the rear, how do you explain idling, sitting still not being a problem? The exhaust is going to shoot down and given its lighter then air and the vehicle is not moving... it's going to infiltrate into the cabin... again if the tip was the root of evil here.

Just asking folks to use some logic on this turn down tip thing, the cabin infiltration problem while maybe being helped by a turned down tip, has absolutely got to be more about design of sealed openings and possibly other joints in the exhaust system or again this problem would be present on WAY more vehicles Ford produces.

Logical would be that Ford would take all the fixes and incorporate them into their redesign to avoid the same issues that plagued them on the 5th gen. If the plugs, the seals, the stronger vent under the bumper and the turn down exhaust all helped to eliminate and/or give the public perception that these changes help, than logically Ford would carry these over to the new model.

Again, Ford did this EXACT same muffler design on the 5th gen after years of issues and some of the 19s had the turn down exhaust from the factory.

There would be no way in hell Ford would admit that they did the turn down mufflers because they wanted to insure that there was no exhaust issues with the 6th gen. There would be no way in hell Ford would even want to mention Exhaust issues (potential) with the 6th gen. Instead, they did what a good PR group would do.. they would say it was because of "exhaust soot"

Anything Ford could do to ensure that this would not pop up on the 6th gen they did... and this is 1 part of it. I believe (I don't want to search again) it was over $700 for the new turn down mufflers for the TSB plus labor to the dealer. I don't think Ford would want to take any chances on this again and instead installed the same design automatically to avoid any changes ever being possibly needed in the future.

This is me being logically and looking at the past vs the current and them not just drumming up the same turn down because now it's all about the tips getting dirty.

You are probably correct and after reading others writings and what research i have done and the fact that i also changed the tip on my DP motor home for this very reason which it did do some good i am going to change the tips on the ST and see what happens. I can always go back if need be.I am concerned about warranty issues.

Logical would be that Ford would take all the fixes and incorporate them into their redesign to avoid the same issues that plagued them on the 5th gen. If the plugs, the seals, the stronger vent under the bumper and the turn down exhaust all helped to eliminate and/or give the public perception that these changes help, than logically Ford would carry these over to the new model.

Again, Ford did this EXACT same muffler design on the 5th gen after years of issues and some of the 19s had the turn down exhaust from the factory.

There would be no way in hell Ford would admit that they did the turn down mufflers because they wanted to insure that there was no exhaust issues with the 6th gen. There would be no way in hell Ford would even want to mention Exhaust issues (potential) with the 6th gen. Instead, they did what a good PR group would do.. they would say it was because of "exhaust soot"

Anything Ford could do to ensure that this would not pop up on the 6th gen they did... and this is 1 part of it. I believe (I don't want to search again) it was over $700 for the new turn down mufflers for the TSB plus labor to the dealer. I don't think Ford would want to take any chances on this again and instead installed the same design automatically to avoid any changes ever being possibly needed in the future.

This is me being logically and looking at the past vs the current and them not just drumming up the same turn down because now it's all about the tips getting dirty.

I completely agree with every you have said. And just reiterating that this was more then just a turn down tip exhaust issue/remedy. I would venture to guess that 99.999% of guys with 2020 that would entertain the idea of aftermarket straight out tips, would never experience a CO2 cabin infiltration issue. And again... if the turn down tip was the fix, forget anything else they are doing as part of the customer enacted enquiry TSB (note it's not a full scale recall.. yet) how would they avoid "sitting still" infiltration? But as you said, the 2020s design was probably one of many things they did to try and avoid the hauntings of their past... we can only HOPE!

You are probably correct and after reading others writings and what research i have done and the fact that i also changed the tip on my DP motor home for this very reason which it did do some good i am going to change the tips on the ST and see what happens. I can always go back if need be.I am concerned about warranty issues.

Keep in mind the tips are welded on. Replacing would require cutting off, so reinstalling will need a little more work, a slip piece to join back together, or more welding ;)

1.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back